• Advertisement

Rubber mat on sluice

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Rubber mat on sluice

Postby shack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Hey all. My A52 Keene sluice has that big mouth front and bare metal on the bottom. You would think Keene would put black ribbed matting up front too, but they don't. I'm going to put some down on that front part. What can I use to glue it to the sluice? Is there any epoxy or glue that will stick to both aluminum and rubber?

Also adding miners moss in there vice the green carpet that comes with the A52.

Thanks,
Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Postby SemprGold » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:49 pm

DON'T DO IT!!!

You want that SMOOTH surface to give the FINE Gold a Chance to Settle !!!
SemprGold
The More People I meet the More I like my Dog!
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Hey Sempr, thanks for the advice. I've been told by a few folks that adding black v-matting up there will help to stop that same fine gold from entering the sluice. They also told me that it will instantly trap the larger pieces. Any advice there?

Also, what about putting the matting UNDER the miners moss or green carpet?

Thanks,
Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby buccaneer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi shack, I do not think it is necessary to put the rubber in the front although I have thought about it. If you switch to the moss you should put something under it,( I used thin ribbed rubber) the carpet may be to much thickness to snap the ripples in place.
buccaneer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby SemprGold » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:29 pm

Shack you want to learn more why to NOT put it there read the DFS website.

http://www.damnfinesluice.com/

This will explain better why to NOT put that ribbed mating up there.

As to Miners Moss I had it in my A51 and tossed it out waste of time it fills the stream riffles up too much and causes gold to slide out of the sluice your better off with the Green carpet in the sluice than miners moss.

If you use miners moss use the matting under it if not then just use the carpet you don't need the matting because the gold won't go through the carpet like it will the moss.
SemprGold
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks semp, I think I will at least try the miners moss with a strip of the black rubber matting underneat. At least that is not permanent. Putting a mat on the front of the sluice would be. Maybe I'll just wait on that one.

Wondering, why do some of the older sluices have matting up there at the front of the sluice, right were you dump dirt?

Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Tinpan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:32 pm

Durn it's gonna snow, Sempr and I agree on something.

Shack, have you used that sluice yet? My suggestion is to use it 10 times before you even think about modifying it. That way you can gat a feel for how it works.

If after that, I'll let you borrow my miner's moss and black carpet that runs full length. Then you will see what a mess this set up makes.

Then you can give it back to me so I can let the next fng try it.

I spent 30 bucks buying all of that stuff and I even experimented with trying a corser carpet. I went back to the stock set up.

Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks Tinpan, I've used it exactly 10 times, about 30 hours worth. I do like it alot. I've learned how the speed of the water really determines what fines you catch. I have been told by a few folks to add the matting to the top of the sluice

Mess hugh, are you referring to the moss or the stock green carpet? I like the carpet enough, but am concerned that some of the fines are not getting "stuck". I've already ordered the moss and the matting from Keene and will give it a temp try just to see. Worse case I'll use it in another future experiment with a banker or dredge.

FNG Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby my69pickup » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Then you can give it back to me so I can let the next fng try it.

ahaah! sounds like a liitle bit o military coming out of ya tinpan!

on sluices. i have 2. a smaller 8 inch easy sluice and a larger 62 inch. i have actually used the easy sluice more than the larger one. i had carpet in the big one and replaced it with the Moss. im still learning how the big one runs best. but fun to try different speeds of water when you can control it.. the easy sluice is just that, its easy. it has built in ribs in three patches and pop in riffles in two places that cover miners moss.
with the big one i plan on using both the carpet and moss when i go out this spring and summer. just switching between cleanups to see which works best.

but that ole big one will move alot of dirt. and if had good water moving i could shovel right into it all day long before i clean it up. with two different sections that can be removed i can actually use both one part carpet and one part moss.
my69pickup
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby my69pickup » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:22 pm

also if you want to get a little bit more fines.

i have read that if you get a "sheet" of refrigerator magnet cut down to fit on the very bottom of your sluice it will trap more black sands and since small gold sometimes gets trapped in the black stuff with magnets. you can actually trap more fine gold! its something i might try. but realise it will probably give you more concentrates due to the heavy black sands it traps. so more cons more work. but then you can crack the black sands and get the really small stuff out of that. but think of a flat refrigerator magnet. you can buy that in sheets.
my69pickup
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Pennrunoutlaw » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:24 am

The black mat in the front of the sluicebox gives the prospector a visual check on the gold content in the material being processed. It gives the prospector a chance to jump up and down, screaming "Eureka, I've found it!" I don't think it was put there to capture the gold. That is the job of the hungarian riffles and the carpet or moss.
Pennrunoutlaw

Postby SemprGold » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Shack you wanna check the difference Go to my website and click on the link on the main page about half way down that says Green Carpet vs Miners Moss.

I did it with the 2" dredge this past summer interesting results needless to say.

Link for my website is in my signature.
SemprGold
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Hey Sempr, I went to the link and looked at the results. Not good for the miners moss! Ouch...

Maybe I'll just save that moss for another project...

Thanks brother.

Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby thecamoman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Just get the Le trap it will be easy to clean :lol:
There is GOLD in Massachusetts!!!
thecamoman
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Kev NC » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Sempr, When you did your test did you run the tailings of what you ran with the moss through again with the carpet in the dredge to see it it caught anything? If not how do you know that there wasn't just more gold where you were using the carpet ? You can work in one spot and find good amounts of gold move over 1 foot and find little or nothing. The true test would be to run the tailings of moss over the carpet and the carpet tailings over the moss and see if anything was missed.

I did the same test with carpet and moss in my A52. I ran 2 5 gallon buckets through with moss catching the tailings in a black tub. Then ran the tailings again using the carpet and only found a few specks. Then I did the same thing 2 5 gallon buckets using carpet first then moss and I had about twice as many specks.

I think it is all in what you prefer to use. Setup is the main key in catching the gold in my opinion, and you will never catch every speck. With the moss you end up with more cons and panning to do when you get home.

Kev NC
Kev NC
Super moderator
Super moderator

Next

Return to Vagold