• Advertisement

Any Patrick, Floyd, Franklin County Prospectors?

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Any Patrick, Floyd, Franklin County Prospectors?

Postby indian steve » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Howdy all. Are any of ya'll from Patrick, Floyd or Franklin County ? I'm in Patrick and looking for a prospecting or metal detecting buddy. I am a newbee but been a "treasure hunter/ digger for all my 57 years. I would also be interested in meeting any NC people that are close by. I also prospect for old motorcycles if any of ya'll have or know of any. Thanks Steve
indian steve

Advertisement

Re: Any Patrick, Floyd, Franklin County Prospectors?

Postby adawg » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Indian Steve !
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby indian steve » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Adawg, I have looking for some one local to treasure hunt with. I really can't afford to come up to to Contrary Creek. Iv'e hunted rocks, fossils, Indian relics and other treasures all of my life. As a kid in Ohio, i dug old pottery dumps and when we moved to North Carolina in 1971, i brought over 5,000 clay tobacco pipes with me. Iv'e also hunted gold for most of my life, but it has been at yard sales and flea markets. Much easier than the way ya'll do it but probably not as much fun. I,ve got a Wolf Trap sluice, garrett pans, a homemade "gold and sand " pump, and a homebuilt 2" dredge with a keene sluice that i have never used. I've played in local creeks with the sluice and pump but haven't found any gold. Cool water sure felt good on those 97 degree days though. Steve
indian steve

Postby rock_bustin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:42 am

Welcome Indian Steve,

If you're riding an Indian you must be able to afford something. :wink:
All your hobbies are real cool to me. I dream of finding an Indian Relic site
one day. Picked up a few potsherds out west that's about it. I'm in No. Va.
so we are far apart. Where are you - NC ? What county?

- Rock_Bustin
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby indian steve » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Rock Bustin, I have a 1948 Indian Chief that i restored with a lot of help from a very good friend of mine. I have put almost 1,000 miles on it so far and hope to put a lot more on it by winter. I also have a 1949 Indian Scout that i plan on putting a 1935 Sport Scout 45 engine and trans in, if i don't have to sell it first. Also have a 51 Ariel Red Hunter, 61 Simson 425s and a 75 Norton Commando. I have been buying , selling, trading bikes for several years to pay for other toys. I had to give up a few real nice bikes to build the Chief.
I've been hunting Indian Relics ever since i could bend over to pick them up. I know of dozens of sites locally but most people don't plow their fields anymore so it is very hard to find anything. I spent 4 winters down south planting pine trees several years ago and found lots of relics and fossils on clear cut and burn sites.
I live just west of Martinsville Va in Patrick County. Let me know if you can get down this way and i'll try to set up a relic hunt. Steve
indian steve

Postby rock_bustin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 am

Indian Steve,

Don't know when my travels will take me that far south but I appreciate your kindness.
I own a 2005 HD Heritage Softail, bought new,now more parked than ridden - an old story.
I own a copy of an old Dept. of Inter. publication called, "Gold Producing Regions of
the United States." A wonderful read. According to that the closest gold to you is in
Guilford Co. to the south. Since you were kind enough to offer the invite I'll type out the
whole entry for you:

Guilford County
Most of the gold production of Guilford Co. came from the Gardiner Hill, Lindsay, North States,
and Jacks Hill mines, which are grouped in the southern part of the county, 8-12 mi. sw of Greensboro.
The mines were opened in the early 1850's, but by 1860 most were closed, after a brief revival in the
1880's, they remained closed. No production records were found but value of their ouput was estimated
to be $225,00 including an unknown amount of Cu.

Granite is the bedrock in this area. Gold, which was associated with the sulfides was deposited in quartz
veins containing pyrite, chalcopyrite, and siderite. At depth veins were rich in Cu., which became the
principle commodity as mining progressed. (Source: Pardee and Park, 1948,p.75-76).

There's a lot of info in there. Hope it helps,
-RB
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 am

RB,

Sorry to highjack this thread, but do you have a number for that publication, I did a text type search and couldn't find anything, maybe if it has number associated with it maybe it will help me find a copy online?

Skip
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby rock_bustin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Glad to oblige,

"Principal Gold-Producing Districts of the United States"
Geological Survey Professional Paper 610
A. H. Koschmann & M. H. Bergendahl
Dept. of Interior
U.S.G.P.O., Wash., 1968

('68 was 1st printing, mine is 3rd printing 1982).
Many on-line hits for it too.

- Rock_Bustin
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks RB, I found an online e version and also a downloadable PDF version.

Skip
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby indian steve » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi RocK Bustin, Thanks for the info. There has been gold found around Bull Mountain in Patrick County and i have a friend who got some out of the Smith River near here.
I did some motorcycle prospecting today. We were coming home from Blacksburg and saw a bike sitting in a trailer at a dumpster site. I stopped and asked the guy about it. He had just got it from an 87 year old man that gave him all of the contents of his barn in exchange for him cleaning it out. It was a 70s Yamaha that i wasn't interested in but there are 3 more in the barn including a rigid frame Harley. He is going to email me pics later in the week when he goes back. I followed him home to look at some other stuff when he mentioned that his father in law has a skirted fender Indian Chief in the barn down the road with truckloads of old motorcycle stuff. He has had it since the early 60s when he took it in payment for $1000 worth of mechanical work. The father in law wasn't home but the guy said he would send me pics and more info tonight. I've got ALL my fingers and toes crossed! I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Steve
indian steve

Postby gman27025 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm

hi indian steve i am not in va but not far away.i live in stokes county near sandy ridge not far from va.i have dredged in the mayo river and want to go try my luck in the smith river some time .maybe we can get together one day and give it a try.
gman27025

Postby KingAu » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 am

Hi, indian steve. Another newby here. Im in chatham probly 45 minutes from you down 57. May be some decent streams between us i dont really know yet. The ol jetta gets good miles and has a surprisingly large trunk. Should have some pans and a sluice soon. Lookin for someone to prospect with although it could be a case of the blind leading the blind lol.
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself, and bigfoot he's always watching me when I'm on the river..."
KingAu

Postby Goldhunter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:22 am

Hey Steve,

My wife and I live in Floyd County. I am a "newbie" as well, and would like a gold prospecting buddy. Post a reply here, if you are interested in meeting sometime.
Chirs
Goldhunter

Postby lmatherly27577 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

hello fellow prospecters i live in danville VA . But i prospect all over va , nc . I have a metal detecter, also have gold pans and a 2.5in dredge i just brought saturday and can.t wait to get in the creek and find some gold. i have a few places i go in patrick county , Floyd , montgumery. Henry, franklin. I am also looking to find someone who enjoys the hobby as much as i do and might want to go out and find there first piece of gold out of the creeks or river. You can send me a reply on this forum or at lmatherly27577@yahoo.com. Thanks l matherly
lmatherly27577
goldflake
goldflake

Postby minerj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm

indian steve wrote:Howdy all. Are any of ya'll from Patrick, Floyd or Franklin County ? I'm in Patrick and looking for a prospecting or metal detecting buddy. I am a newbee but been a "treasure hunter/ digger for all my 57 years. I would also be interested in meeting any NC people that are close by. I also prospect for old motorcycles if any of ya'll have or know of any. Thanks Steve

I'm MinerJ on the site , i'm from franklin co. , in Callaway. I'm really a newbie, going out tomorrow for the first time.I'm still waiting for my sluce to be mailed in 2 weeks. ( can't hardely waite ) I'll be trying my hand at panning tomorrow. Maybe we can meet sometime and do some gold hunting.
minerj
golddust
golddust

Next

Return to Vagold