• Advertisement

creek flows.......

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

creek flows.......

Postby Anglosaxon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am

Anyone been down to the local creeks to see how good the water is flowing.Up here in northern va we are getting it pretty good.
Last edited by Anglosaxon on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
{ Id rather die on my feet,than live on my knees! }
Anglosaxon
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: creek flows.......

Postby shack » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

I just got back from visiting CC. She's moving very good, water is about 18"-24" higher than normal. Not out of the banks yet in the narrow sections where the high banks and woods are, but definitely out of the normal water channel downstream where it widens out on the flatter areas. All the side creeks were moving, 2nd tailing pile area was completely covered, Rock Island was nowhere to be seen... :D

It's supposed to rain here all day and a little tomorrow, so who knows how high it will get. The ground is saturated from yesterday's rainfall and the runoff today is pretty substantial.

I've got a glass out in the front yard, stuck it out there yesterday before the rain started. It measured just under an inch yesterday, and this morning it was at 2 1/4".

Shack
http://www.shacksgold.com
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ece3k » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Is it enough to move the gold around much?
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby htd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm

it is a raging torrent
it takes a hurricane to really move the stream bed 6 inches of rain or so but it will smooth it out and move some fine gold around
it should be back at around 6 inches of flow monday but right now like shack says it is 18 plus heavy flow and I expect it will rise more
before it falls
but every heavy rain washes gold from sides into creek gold however moves very slowly dragging the bottom like in your sluice box
light thin flakes wash much easier and tend to be in upper layers
it is pretty amazing how much the rocks do move even with the flow today
water is a powerful force
I had planned on doing some highbanking this coming week and there will be plenty of water flow to get to were I want to run.
I need a ruff and tuff guy next week have to see if he is available maybe tuesday.
htd
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Anglosaxon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I remember not having a real want for so much rain,but this hobby has me wanting more rain.Its nice to replenish and smooth the creeks out ,Im excited to hit my local hole this weekend , Sunday is supposed to be around 88 high /68 low so pretty perfect in my book. :mrgreen:
{ Id rather die on my feet,than live on my knees! }
Anglosaxon
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 pm

man we got flooding every where all my spots are almost out of thier banks to rough to dredge
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sdbridges3 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 pm

How about today, Saturday, at CC? Still high? Had hoped to try my 2" Keene Sunday but it's pretty tough to pull my dredge on a cart when the water is high.
-Steve B.
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Postby sanman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 pm

sd, my guess is you don't want to run a 2" dredge at cc on Sunday...looks like the water will be high on Sunday and will fall very fast in a day...

Monday or Tuesday you should be good to go...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby adawg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Dredging gives you a good look at how the hardpack on the bedrock forms . This hardpack, clay, and crumbly mumbly
material is not gonna move without serious force . And I mean SERIOUS FORCE !
I found a railroad spike at CC one time that was stuck in some hardpack . This was about 3 feet deep .
That spike was at least from the 1930's . So that hardpack hadn't moved in over 80 years ..
Not sure if there is enough flood force at CC to move the stuff on bedrock . Very short run on that creek, and few
large boulders to tenderize the bed . No telling what happened a 100,000 years ago, but today, I can't see it .
Yes, fine flood gold will move, and alluvial deposits will wash in , but I don't see that hardpack moving without
some pounding from tumbling boulders .. Just my opinion .
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby ece3k » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:50 pm

So....just so I can learn how this works. If the current rains have only been enough to wash some new gold in and smooth the dirt a bit.....would it be reasonable to assume that digging in the top 8 inches will find new stuff in already worked places? I know the best is still way down anywhere, but is that a reasonable assumption? Second, I had a question about gravel bars. Some of them down at CC are pretty wide and large....I would assume few have dredged the middle of them. Does it make sense to test in those area or are the edges better to look in on a gravel bar?
Thanks,
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 am

It is possible to find some newly deposited gold in previously worked areas, especially on that creek . But also
just because an area appears to have been worked before, doesn't mean that whoever worked it, knew what they
were doing, or did a thorough job of it . I have worked dredge holes where the bedrock had not been cleared and
found very good gold . They had just worked a few layers and left the good stuff . Go figure . :roll:
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby sdbridges3 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:37 am

Would like to try CC this Sunday for sluicing. Anyone know how the creek is flowing lately?
-Steve B
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Postby adawg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:42 pm

The creek had a decent flow last Sunday, not great but good for this time of year . But it drops fast .
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Return to Vagold