• Advertisement

Wicked December 2015 High water

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Wicked December 2015 High water

Postby shack » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:21 am

It's not normal to get high water at CC in December, but this past December was crazy between the warm temps and the rain. I went down to CC a few times right before Christmas. It had already been raining for a week so the ground was already saturated and the water was already pretty high. On the 24th the clouds opened up for an hour of just solid zero visibility downpour. I was about halfway down the lease working on some gravel bars when a wall of water came rushing downstream. I had about 5 minutes to get all of my gear to safety before everything was covered. Logs, mud, rocks, and larger trees were rolling down the channel which was now at least 4' over normal flow. It was obvious that on top of the flash flood that the beaver dam upstream had just given out. Water was well outside the banks and rolling over parts of the land where I'd never seen water. All gear stayed on site that night, there was no way the ATV was even crossing that (I tried...)

Here's a few pics. The first is the 2nd tailing pile area. Those big boulders are about 2' under water, and the only thing visible is a lone pine tree in the middle "island".
Attachments
IMG_0688.JPG
2nd tailing pile area
IMG_0688.JPG (129.84 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
IMG_0686.JPG
CC river, about halfway down the lease
IMG_0686.JPG (130.85 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
http://www.shacksgold.com
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Wicked December 2015 High water

Postby Cut_Nail » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:22 am

Wow! Those are amazing pictures. Hard to believe that little stream could get so high so quick. Good thing you weren't at the far end of the lease or getting back to your vehicle would have been a challenge. How far upstream is/was the beaver dam?
Cut_Nail
picker
picker

Postby Darth Placer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:01 am

Good to hear you made it out alright Shack... those pictures are crazy. Looks like mother nature shuffled the deck at the creek and placed some new color for us to find. I was hoping to get down there the last two weeks but the rains put me off the idea.. seeing the local stream gauges only enforced it.

Can only imagine how its changed the stream bed and banks.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:21 pm

Wow, I guess that gives CC a new high water mark!!!

Shack could you hear the gold moving? :P
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:14 am

There are debris fields up higher than where this water was, probably from past hurricanes. This was the highest I've ever seen it in the winter time. There was a couple of channels moving way up on the large gravel flats, places where you could typically only high bank with a 200' draw from the creek. Not this time, and the gold was exceptional.
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jdtrailblazer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:24 pm

That's impressive !
jdtrailblazer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sanman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 pm

shack wrote: Not this time, and the gold was exceptional.

What gold...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Wow that's some high water!
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Darth Placer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Hint!!

I seen some pictures in a secret place Shack puts his pictures in... nice finds for sure. How big are those two nuggets?
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ezieg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for the Pictures! I would have a hard time imagining the water that high, due to its normal flow. i'm glad you got out alright. Don't mess with rising water!
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby shack » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Darth Placer wrote:How big are those two nuggets?

The little one was 22 grains, big one was 210 grains. It was the first time with the massive raised expanded metal that I've been able to actually see where nuggets stick in the sluice. I'd gotten a few pickers in past runs but they were hidden out of sight behind/under the expanded. These two were big enough to see without removing the massive expanded. They dropped perfectly off the 3/8" perforated crash plate and nestled nicely behind the 1/4" thick expanded metal.

About half of the larger nugget was visible in the sluice, the rest of it was buried. Here's a pic of it where it landed in the 3" wide expanded and how it burrowed in, a closeup pic showing the character of the nugget, and another pic of the two nuggets and two pickers from that haul.
Attachments
christmas2015f.JPG
christmas2015f.JPG (220.2 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
christmas2015e.JPG
christmas2015e.JPG (153.26 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
christmas2015d.JPG
christmas2015d.JPG (75 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ruffandtuff » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:25 pm

Looking great!
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:28 pm

BTW, these spots were directly related to the testing I did in prior to the starting Jenkins project. The terrain study started in May 2008 and included a terrain/map study, simulations, flood stage observations, and testing. Many of those off-creek locations were very nice. You have to take full advantage of flooding situations and get into places where there typically isn't water. I've been waiting for a very long time to further test a few of these spots with a dredge, and finally 6 years later that opportunity came but it only lasted for a very short timeframe.

Gold from these higher-land gravel bars or massive fields of tailing dumps is definitely different than what you might find in the active creek channel. Many mines took ore to the Cooper for crushing and processing, and waste was dumped for miles around that site so there's really no way to determine where the gold actually came from. I'm a firm believer that much of the gold being found in and around CC isn't from that local deposit at all. Much of it was discarded as waste. The gold is different. It's different in quality, purity, silver content, shape, erosion/weathering, and crystalline formations. That being said, there is in fact nice gold well outside the active channel. You just have to be willing to run water far from the creek with layflat or wait for mother nature to put water where water usually isn't present.

Here's a pic of another lumpy CC nugget. Also below is a map of the test sites.

EDIT: On the map, the red markers show the 16 test locations within the active creek channel. The blue markers show the 27 test locations that were outside the active creek channel. Test results were recorded and also plotted on a map. The test results map was provided to VA Gold forum members in September 2010 if they made a $15 donation to the forum to help Chuck cover the annual forum and server fees.
Attachments
050.jpg
Lumpy AU
050.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
testholes.jpg
Test Hole locations
testholes.jpg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Last edited by shack on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sanman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:51 pm

I see that the edges of that expanded are starting to "round" have you found any more...? not here...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby shack » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:02 pm

A little rounding, but not too bad so far and the edges are holding up pretty good. It's a little shiny on the expanded where the rust was knocked off with use, and I had to use the flash cause the sun was lost behind the weather and it was pretty dim outside. No luck on my end finding more, I haven't had time to get to that final scrapyard in Stafford yet.
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Next

Return to Vagold