• Advertisement

Snake

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Snake

Postby Cut_Nail » Wed May 03, 2017 7:45 am

Beautiful day at CC yesterday. The water was a little low and recent footprints hadn't been eroded so I guess the expected rain passed over the creek. We found a little color, enough to make it interesting and had the place to ourselves except for a brief visit from a legless resident. It was a small copperhead sitting on the bank a couple hundred yards downstream from the bridge. He hightailed it to the brush when we got close for a look. It was a copperhead and not a water snake or juvenile rat snake, I do know the difference. They are out and enjoying the sun so be careful.
Cut_Nail
picker
picker

Advertisement

Re: Snake

Postby Dave_Pa » Wed May 03, 2017 6:29 pm

I've seen Copperheads down in that area.......
Dave_Pa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thedigger » Thu May 04, 2017 7:11 am

Here is a snake story that a good friend discussed with me on several accassions.He dredged for nearly 30 years in the rivers in Victoria,and in his opinion snakes seem to be drawn to the sound of the dredge motor,or the vibration in the water.On quite a few the snakes would come about while he was dredging,on one accassion as he come up from the bottom,with the view through his mask of a tiger snake looking at him.
They a very venomous snake,and can be very aggressive at times,so when we tramp around near water,one eye is always on the ground.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... us-snakes/
thedigger
picker
picker

Postby ruffandtuff » Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Snakes alive! Thanks, RuffandTuff
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Thu May 04, 2017 6:09 pm

There was one a couple a seasons ago that someone uncovered during a cleanup day at CC. When grabbing rocks to throw in the hole the member was greeted to a nice size copperhead underneath one of the rocks he grabbed.

Think it was one if memory serves... it blended in really well with the stained rocks. Been on the lookout there ever since.

Gotta watch them black widows there too.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ezieg » Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 am

I'm the one who found that copperhead under the rock during a cc cleanup.... I know everyone around me heard my expletive, in fact, they might have heard it in Mineral! I'm so glad I looked before I picked up the next rock. I think that was the same day Adawg took home the black widows in his backpack!
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby thedigger » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 am

We live on 20 odd acres,with very large pond near our house,so we keep the grass well mowed,so we can see if any are laying about.We have a bird here called a Kookaburra,and he keeps a good look out for any snakes that will make a good meal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAQG2jogL28
thedigger
picker
picker

Postby Cut_Nail » Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 am

thedigger wrote:We live on 20 odd acres,with very large pond near our house,so we keep the grass well mowed,so we can see if any are laying about.We have a bird here called a Kookaburra,and he keeps a good look out for any snakes that will make a good meal.

Based on what I've seen on all the nature shows, your issues with snakes in Australia sort of overwhelm what we have here in the US. We're led to believe that most snakes down there are venomous. Any truth to that?
Cut_Nail
picker
picker

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat May 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Cut_Nail wrote:
thedigger wrote:We live on 20 odd acres,with very large pond near our house,so we keep the grass well mowed,so we can see if any are laying about.We have a bird here called a Kookaburra,and he keeps a good look out for any snakes that will make a good meal.

Based on what I've seen on all the nature shows, your issues with snakes in Australia sort of overwhelm what we have here in the US. We're led to believe that most snakes down there are venomous. Any truth to that?

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/animals/Snakes.htm

"Australia has some 140 species of land snake, and around 32 species of sea snakes have been recorded in Australian waters. Some 100 Australian snakes are venomous, although only 12 are likely to inflict a wound that could kill you."
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby thedigger » Sun May 07, 2017 4:45 am

Hello Gold seeker
If you see a snake in this neck of the woods you can bet your life that it would venonoums,not many non venomous here,I would say that they would be in the nth of the country.
We keep the place mowed,so any children that come around will not tread on .
We have to make sure in the warmer months that we always keep the doors or the fly screens always closed,because they will slide in to the house or the workshop.
With that being said,there is nothing to worry about.
When we over in the west,we were warned never try to kill any of the large desert snakes,even if you have got a long handle shovel,being a couple meters long they can fling themselves at you before you know it.
Regards Frank
thedigger
picker
picker

Return to Vagold