• Advertisement

Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Postby ece3k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello,
So I am thinking of making a run to Fredericksburg to do a little panning (and sluicing) and was wondering where to go. I see a lot of promising rocks under 95 but also read that people go to Motts landing. I watched a couple videos at Motts and it looks like it is fairly deep there where you put in. Can you get across the river there? Is there a better entrance than the boat ramp? (I wasn't planning on bringing a boat and will have a ten year old with me.)
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just looking for a quiet afternoon for my daughter and I to wash some rocks and see a little color.
Thanks,
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Postby sdbridges3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 pm

I tried your same plan a couple years ago. Mott's Landing looked way too deep for sluicing or panning and I could not find another spot to go there. Gave up and went back to 95 and looked over the rocks there. Seemed more promising but was still a little difficult to access for me and my wife. I chickened out then, but 95 and down river still shows the most promise. I was planning to use a hand suction device to get between the rocks. Good luck and post your results if you go.
- Steve B
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Postby ece3k » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Ok,
So here is an update to that area. I wanted to check out a place on the bend about a half mile below Mott's boat landing. I dropped off some friends and a kayak about a half mile below the boat ramp (where the river bends away from river road) and they had no problem getting down to the water there on a path. The USGS has a little spot there you can pull off and unload, but no parking. I walked across at that point without a kayak to the other side of the river but it was rocky and slippery, at times anywhere from 3 feet to 6 inches deep, but passable with the low water right now. (Late Oct.) I also put in a kayak from the Mott's boat ramp and paddled down to the bend to meet the people I had dropped off. There were seven of us altogether and a couple were elderly or unable to walk across. We ferried them across the river...the best way to do that is to have them walk down a bike path to the right a couple hundred yards around the bend and then you can paddle back and forth without having to portage or stop for rocks. It was quite easy once we figured that out. Right now the water level is averaging around 2 feet and there is no good way to get a kayak through the rocks without having to get out and portage a bit.
We dug some but also spent time on panning lessons and enjoying a beautiful day. We didn't find much but one nice flake (probably -12) and some smaller colors (50's and 100's). I still have some cons to look through. We had loads of fun and the water was not nearly as cold as I thought it would be. I tromped around all day in an old pair of tennis shoes with no problems on a sunny 70 degree day.
If I go by myself, I'll probably just drop in up at Mott's boat ramp and hit somewhere upriver a little. It's pretty flat water and not hard to go against the current. The water at the bottom of the boat ramp was too shallow to put in so we pulled the kayak out into the river a little...so you can't just slide down like you see on youtube when the water is only 2ft average.
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am

This area is challenging, especially without a dredge . I have prospected that area many times . Even with a dredge, you need to hunt hard to get on the gold . But it is there in spots . Yes, you can get in at Motts, but from my personal experience, I suggest you head upstream . Way upstream . Pick your way up the river, and under normal conditions you can walk up .. I have always wanted to make a long run from Kelly's to F'burg, just never did . There were several mines down that stretch, especially starting around Rock run, and Summerduck . The city of F'burg owns a lot of accessible property in that area .. But you need to do the homework .. I was invited to some private property on the opposite side of the river from Rock Run, and I got on to some incredible gold . I was just testing the property for gold, but after the owner saw what I found, I wasn't allowed back . :roll: But it has to be in the main river as well .. Just very difficult to get to .. Hope this helps, and good luck !!
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Return to Vagold