• Advertisement

Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Talk about virginia gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Postby ece3k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello,
So I am thinking of making a run to Fredericksburg to do a little panning (and sluicing) and was wondering where to go. I see a lot of promising rocks under 95 but also read that people go to Motts landing. I watched a couple videos at Motts and it looks like it is fairly deep there where you put in. Can you get across the river there? Is there a better entrance than the boat ramp? (I wasn't planning on bringing a boat and will have a ten year old with me.)
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just looking for a quiet afternoon for my daughter and I to wash some rocks and see a little color.
Thanks,
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Can I get in at Motts Landing?

Postby sdbridges3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 pm

I tried your same plan a couple years ago. Mott's Landing looked way too deep for sluicing or panning and I could not find another spot to go there. Gave up and went back to 95 and looked over the rocks there. Seemed more promising but was still a little difficult to access for me and my wife. I chickened out then, but 95 and down river still shows the most promise. I was planning to use a hand suction device to get between the rocks. Good luck and post your results if you go.
- Steve B
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Return to Vagold