• Advertisement

Electric Mini Dredge

This forum is for discussion of Dredge Tech, DIY Projects, Technical How-to etc.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Electric Mini Dredge

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:27 am

This was posted by "Gold Dredger" on the "New 49ers Forum", I thought that it would make a great samplimg tool!!!

Click on pictures to enlarge.

Skip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello to all!!!

Well this is my first post and I am going to be sharing my newest toy. I have been working on this little electric dredge for the last 6 months off and on. I had super high hopes of production for this mini electric dredge but the extra funds to get things off the ground and produce a quality product just have not worked out. So I have concluded it is time to give up on that. Instead I am going to share the details of this little dredge so that others can build one and enjoy it as much as I like my working prototype. I had plans to be a new member to the 49ers however my health has blasted that right out of the water. I own a 5” and 4” dredge and I love every minute running them. The little electric dredge is easy to sample new areas and is almost completely silent. It is awesome to say the least. This thing really works well and will surprise you with its ability to clean out cracks and just dredge up the pay dirt. Pint sized package with big fun! Below is a pic of the gold it has recovered in a gold jar. Yes the jar is full of water so it looks like more than it is. But it is gold none the less.

I have done a bunch of trial and error and have come up with a mini electric dredge that can be used completely submerged or at the surface. This entire setup is the prototype test unit. The PVC nozzle has had several changes and different jet hole sizes and now it is wrapped with line and then epoxied to hold up to a few whacks from clogs. The next nozzle will be metal. It has an intake nozzle from ¾” PVC and 1” suction line. The box is made from aluminum sheet and it has both ribbed mat at the front with miners moss for the main box. The expanded metal screen over the top of all that and it is held in place with a wing nut. The top folds down to cover the box and keep the water pressure up during complete submersion to keep the tailings rolling on through. It uses a small 12 volt self priming pump and I have a small blaster nozzle for cleaning cracks on there as well. I use a small lawn and garden tractor battery from Wal mart that cost $20 bucks and runs the dredge for at least 2 hours( that’s the longest stretch that I have run….. it will go longer). My plans where to have the sluice made from a molded plastic box and the suction nozzle would be made of metal tube. I have tried a lot of pumps and this one is the best. It is available from Harbor Freight tools. If you guys are into the whole thing I can post a basic construction parts list of what I used and some dims to get on the right track building your own. Pictures are worth a thousand words so look at those. There is a shot of the gold I sucked up from a small seasonal stream the last 2 trips out with about 3 hours total dredging time. The stream only has small flakes and fines. And the little dredge does a great job of catching them. I see this little thing working well for kids and or folks that just like to crevice or do some weekend mining without the noise, gas, and weight of a bigger system. Because it is so small it fits in a good sized back pack and I am not sure if it could be completely classified as a dredge, although it works just like its full size buddies. Maybe it should be called a crevice processor. Have fun out there and enjoy! Man I can’t wait till dredge season opens up!!!!!!!!!"
Attachments
Mini Electric Dredge 1.jpg
Mini Electric Dredge 2.jpg
Mini Electric Dredge 3.jpg
Last edited by Gold Seeker on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 am

More pictures of Elec. Mini Dredge.

Skip
Attachments
Mini Electric Dredge 4.jpg
Gold from Mini Elec Dredge.jpg
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sanman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks Gold Seeker, looks good.
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 am

You're welcome, Sanman, here is a link to the orignal post.

Another member " Inspector Tom" posted the idea for adding a 'solar charger", which would let you run all day, if it is not an overcast day.

http://bb.bbboy.net/thenew49ers-viewthr ... thread=390

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:44 am

I'm going to make one, 8) , here is a link to the pump that is in the picture.

I'm adding another picture that shows the pump better and it shows a "screen" stuffed in the end of the "pick-up" hose, you have to look close to see it, it looks like "steel wool" or a stainless steel scrubbing pad.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94639

Skip
Attachments
Mini Electric Dredge 5.jpg
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sanman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Gold Seeker, I have one of these on the back-burner but without the mini sluice. My thought was to dump into a 5 gal. bucket and clean up later with no chance losing any gold. That mini looks to be unstable.
smell-n-yellow
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Sanman,

When you say "unstable" are you referring to keeping the sluice "stationary" and on the proper "angle", I posed this question as how to keep the proper angle on the sluice while having it submerged to the original poster, and he said,

"Fully submered= You just place it on the bottom of the stream completly underwater and for this one I just set a flat rock on top and start dredging. The box anlge is not super critical because the water pressure in the box( due to the lid ) keep the material moving through. It works well and long as you are close to flat or slightly tilted down at the end it cranks the tailings right on out."

I think that the sluice and the hose to it needs to be a little longer.

Your idea of dumping in a bucket would eliminate losing any gold.

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby hominva51 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Just to let ever body know the Harbor Freight pump that is listed is no longer on the web sight the pump that they have now is only a 10 psi pump the one shown is a 50 psi pump

the stores might have some Know they were running them on sale last month for 40 dollars

ray
hominva51
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sanman » Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi homeinva51, I picked my pump up last week for 29.99 - 15%. they had 4 more in the richmond store. Will test my mini out sat. I will post the outcome of this diny thing in a few days. sanman.
smell-n-yellow
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

sweet dredge

Postby isgpup » Fri May 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks a Sweet looking dredge , might just build me one for sure!!!!!
Looking for it always
Henry
isgpup
picker
picker

re: mini sluice

Postby isgpup » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Gold Seeker wrote:More pictures of Elec. Mini Dredge.

Skip

Skip you had a chance to run that yet much, was thinking about tring that but rather feed it to a regular sluice on a creek!!!!!
Looking for it always
Henry
isgpup
picker
picker

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Henry,

I haven't built my mini dredge yet, it will be a winter project.

You should be able to pump into your sluice just fine, go for it! :D

Sanman has built one, here is a link to the post on his project, http://www.au-prospecting.com/gold/view ... 25&start=0

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

harbor freight pump

Postby ellrabin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 pm

the harbor freight store near Potomac Mills has one 50PSI model left. They had two this morning :) now I have one

Get the "12 volt utility pump" not the "12 volt marine pump"

stock number 94639
ellrabin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Tech, DIY,How-to