• Advertisement

Randy's 2-Cycle Gas Vac Is Complete & Running!

This forum is for discussion of Dredge Tech, DIY Projects, Technical How-to etc.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Randy's 2-Cycle Gas Vac Is Complete & Running!

Postby C-17A » Sun May 30, 2010 7:32 am

Greetings VA-Gold prospectors,

Well, it's been a LONG time in the making..........but I finished my home made 2-cycle gas vacuum yesterday! :P Was a Weed Eater Featherlite 1500 leaf blower I got at a garage sale for $5, now a gold hunting machine! :P

The plan is to ship it to myself in Colorado, and I will use it end of June to get that last 5% to 10% of the gold bearing material out of the cracks, crevices & jagged bedrock areas in my favorite dry gulch I always leave behind. I will be taking my crevice tools and hand picks, and am very curious to know if there's gold that I have been missing all these years, by simply being unable to "suck" the last bit of dirt up in the cracks, as I brush & sweep the bedrock as best I could.

Cost me a little over $50 to make. Took me two 1/2 days in the garage playing with it, once I had the bucket, hoses and gumption to get it all together. The hardest part was adapting the blower onto the lid....go figure. :?

Had it all built, and fired it up, and it wouldn't "suck" at all, at first. :shock: What the heck?? After some tinkering and problem solving, realized the standard 1 1/4 inch black plastic hose I was using was so small, that it starved the air flow, causing the impellers to stall. I thought it would restrict the air flow nicely, causing trememdous suction, but just the opposite with the straight impeller design of the leaf blower.

So, one more trip to Lowes, got a 2 1/2 inch 8 foot replacement hose and nozzle, biggest I could find for cheap, and wallah, it started flowing air & sucking real good! Have to keep it revved up. :wink:

Here's a short video of my demo on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4AKvqCkz2E

Here's two pictures all assembled:

So, project complete.........now for field testing and see if it can pay for itself!! Wish me luck. :P

Randy "C-17A" :D www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Randy's 2-Cycle Gas Vac Is Complete & Running!

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun May 30, 2010 9:25 am

Looking good there Randy!

Matt
CVGP Member
Lone Wolf
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ruffandtuff » Sun May 30, 2010 11:54 am

Randy, please keep us posted after your Colorado trip in June. Also, it would be nice to make it into a back-pack unit. Thanks, RuffandTuff.
Last edited by ruffandtuff on Sun May 30, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby C-17A » Sun May 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Everyone,

I was asked about the "professional" looking snap on lid. Here's more of the story...

The lid assembly is kinda special...........as it's a brand new Lowe's bucket max 5-gal vacuum kit that I bought new and converted from electric motor to gas power. Buy the kit, and snap onto your favorite 5-gal bucket.

Really liked the snap on/off feature, and that the inlet was on the top, so I could "snap" it onto any 3 or 5 gallon bucket I wanted. It was $19.98, but I got a 10% military discount, so it cost $17.98.

I did have a screw on lid/bucket from some pool chlorine tabs as my first thought, but realized that with the motor & hoses installed, it might be difficult to spin it on & off, over & over.

On the new Lowe's kit vacuum I took it apart, removed the electric motor, had to cut out the inside opening for increased air draw, and then screw the lower 1/2 of the leaf blower air pluenum down to the new lid, THEN, reassemble the top 1/2 (with motor/impeller) to the bottom 1/2. I put a round ring of soft 1/2 inch weather stripping between the two for "crush" and a perfect seal, and then duct taped it all for extra sealing and strength.

Not a run of the mill lid. Figured the time I saved was worth the "professional" look and ease of snapping on/off, plus with the inlet on top, I don't have to cut a hole in the side of the bucket and devise a turn down baffle either.

Hope this helps!

Randy "C-17A" www.goldadventures.biz
C-17A
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Tech, DIY,How-to