• Advertisement

Optimal Dredge Suction Velocity

This forum is for discussion of Dredge Tech, DIY Projects, Technical How-to etc.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Optimal Dredge Suction Velocity

Postby PAsniper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm

To all the dredging experts out there:

Just wondering what is your opinion on the velocity at the suction nozzle?

I'm in the process of designing another dredge / infinity jet and just trying to do some calculations....

Currently my 2" nozzle draws roughly 9 fps at the nozzle, (about 90 GPM), and it provides nice suction.

Is there an optimal velocity for a 3 inch, or a 4 inch? I would assume that the foot per second number could drop slightly as the nozzle gets bigger (for finger safety hahah) and to help eliminate jams at the tip, but what are your thoughts on this? Would a 6 fps on a 4 inch be good suction power?

Looking for opinions from the experts....
Thanks in advance

Rich
PAsniper
picker
picker

Advertisement

Re: Optimal Dredge Suction Velocity

Postby sanman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Hey sniper, I think you should concentrate on the water flow in the sluice box ...A factory dredge setup will put more water through the sluice then you can control for max recovery...An infinity jet will only be a true advantage in very deep dredging operation ...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Re: Optimal Dredge Suction Velocity

Postby PAsniper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you for the reply, sanman....

The main reason I've been tinkering with the infinity jets is that I can get away with using a much cheaper/ smaller/ lighter pump to get the same suction results as a power jet with a larger pump.

I can run a 2.5" infinity jet with my 52gpm semi trash pump believe it or not, with decent suction... I only supply about 25gpm @ 30psi.... and get about 100 - 110 GPM through my 2.5" nozzle, at about 7 fps, with a total of 125-135 through the sluice. That's with my pump full throttle, and working shallow.

I truly believe I can design/ fabricate an infinity jet for a 4"... powered with a Honda/P90 pump combo.

If the pump can supply me 50-60 GPM at 70 foot of head (30 psi), I think I can get 250gpm draw on a 4" nozzle for about 6-7 fps. Not sure what the performance would be like though... is that a good velocity for a 4"?? I never used a 4"... only 2.5 and smaller.

Thanks for the advice sanman... you're always helpful with my builds.

Rich
Last edited by PAsniper on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAsniper
picker
picker

Return to Tech, DIY,How-to