• Advertisement

Suction Hose Repair

This forum is for discussion of Dredge Tech, DIY Projects, Technical How-to etc.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Suction Hose Repair

Postby TRJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Guys I'm in a bind to say the least.

I was checking everything out and loading it up today for my first dredging trip of the year on Sunday. Then I noticed about a 4" long crack in the suction hose of my 4" dredge. So, I'm all ears on how to patch it so that it will make a 2 day dredging trip. I've got an old bicycle inner tube and I was thinking of trying that with some rubber cement or other adhesive.

I know some, or likely many of you have had this problem before so I'm asking for help.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Suction Hose Repair

Postby Gold Seeker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Try using some Gorilla/good quality duct tape, wrap it well beyond the crack on both sides and take extra tape with you in case you develop more cracks while dredging, should get you through a couple of days.

Make sure your hose is clean and dry when you apply the tape, duct tape will stay stuck even when wet for the most part if it's applied to a clean surface.
Last edited by Gold Seeker on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby 4gold » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Go to a roofing supply company there is one off of Ballsford rd. in Manassas and buy what is called zip tape. Zip tape is awesome very sticky tape and it is water proof and it will stretch some more than duct tape. Option too go to lowes or home depot and buy thick Rubber tape used for insulation on 480 volt wires etc. on motor connections and wrap hose then cover with electric tape, buy the good 3m electric tape and not the cheap stuff.
4gold
golddust
golddust

Postby shack » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 am

Yup, Gorilla tape would work as a temporary fix. I've had that stuff on a jet for two years. The jet started to wear out so I cut a soup can and fitted it over the jet. Next I wrapped the repair with Gorilla tape. It's by no means a permanent fix, but it's been on there a while and seems to be holding up. I try not to put new jets in CC, so I'll just this one until it gives up the ghost.

You definitely don't want a gash in your suction hose. It reduces suction within the hose which leads to hose jams and material buildup within the hose. It also introduces highly aerated water to your sluice box and you can literally see air bubbles in the water going down your sluice.
http://www.shacksgold.com
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Tech, DIY,How-to