• Advertisement

afforadable source of dredge float material

This forum is for discussion of Dredge Tech, DIY Projects, Technical How-to etc.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

afforadable source of dredge float material

Postby obdiah » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 pm

after building several dredges one problem allways arises , what to use for floats and theres lots of opinions but nothing is ideal other than commerical floats
the best I had found so faf and used on my last few dredges were water softener tanks the ones on my current 3 in are 10 in dia and 48 in long they work but floation is barely adaquate but it works and they are rated 120 psi pressure so I use them as air storage resevours and there durable made with a polly liner and wraped with stranded fiber glass if they were just a foot longer
but then i found this stuff 10 in dia pvc air ducting .187 thick wall and 10 ft for $73.99 enough for two floats

might need a plywood ring bulkhead were the mount to the frame or maybe not end caps are high at 20.00 each but might get by with something home made for that what yall think? https://www.qcsupply.com/pvc-50-lb-duct ... gQodrcQAgA
thier nears store to me is in clinton nc between wilington and fayetville
Last edited by obdiah on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: afforadable source of dredge float material

Postby prospectinggeologist » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Ive been using 15 gallon drums. They can be found easily on craigslist for like $10 a piece, they are very durable and its easy to make a dredge frame to accommodate them. 4 of them would be more then enough floatation for a 4". If any of my store bought floats get holes I will not buy the over priced keene or proline floats I just plan on building a new frame and using the 15 gallon barrels. Just my 2 cents.
Attachments
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG (444.5 KiB) Viewed 250 times
prospectinggeologist
picker
picker

Postby obdiah » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm

15 gal drums work great i have used them before and there free ( I have a friend that is a dairy farmer and they get them all the time but as I am getting older the weight of the support structure adds up and I went to a frame less design and all aluminium and let the floats carry the load of the components cuts down on handling difficulties this is the way I build them all now
Attachments
dredge  full throtel.JPG
dredge full throtel.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 239 times
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby prospectinggeologist » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 am

I cant tell from the picture but is that a store bought jet flare or homemade? If its homemade what did you use. I can build power jets and sluices but the one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to easily build is jet flare.

Thanks
prospectinggeologist
picker
picker

Postby Darth Placer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Easiest way is to cut some pipe right down the middle and weld a piece of sheet metal on each side in the shape of a V.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 am

I have seen some people use a traffic cone for a flare, cut a piece of wood or sheet metal to attach to the big end to form the cone to an oval.
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am

prospectinggeologist wrote:I cant tell from the picture but is that a store bought jet flare or homemade? If its homemade what did you use. I can build power jets and sluices but the one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to easily build is jet flare.

Thanks

its home made from 3/16 al sheet and 3 in aluminum pipe lots of hammering bending and losing my temper but finally got it
Last edited by obdiah on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Tech, DIY,How-to