• Advertisement

Ulster County

Talk about New York gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Ulster County

Postby GoldFever » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:03 pm

Hello Everyone. I am new here. I have been prospecting in ulster county NY and surrounding areas for 2 years now. I have a great little spot by my house that gives me some gold. I have found 2.5 Grams in 2 years. Nothing to get excited about but definitely enough to keep it fun. Does anyone have any spots around Ulster that have given anything up? Here is a pic of my ulster gold.
Gold Is Definitely Where You Find It!
GoldFever
golddust
golddust

Advertisement

Postby golddiver » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi GF,
If that is the size gold you are gfetting up there, that's not too shabby. I hope you saved all the concentrates because there must be a lot of fine gold that slipped by.
Jay in central PA
golddiver
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby GoldFever » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:21 pm

I dont save the concentrates. Dont let the look of size in the picture mislead you. They are rather small peices I am just reall close in the picture. But I do get some fine dust looking specles. So small you cant even collect them. But it is fun
GoldFever
golddust
golddust

Postby golddiver » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:45 pm

Are you panning or using a sluice box? That's still not a bad collection even if small. It looks like placer gold rather than glacial drift. I may get out tomorrow and try a place I think I got some fine gold before. I am not sure if it came from there or was stuck in the sluice box. But either way I'll have fun and it is a nice place to set up.

Jay in PA
golddiver
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Dave_Pa » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:47 am

That is very nice gold...... Those are a good size and I tend to agree with GoldDiver, there must be a lot of gold your missing in the sands your throughing out.
Dave_Pa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jsgoldny » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:38 am

Goldfever, great gold looks bigger than what we get here in the Finger lakes Region. Woodchuck and myself will have to visit you next year we
are only 3 hour drive. I lived in Marlboro about twenty years ago. How far are you from there? jsgoldny :D
jsgoldny
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby GoldFever » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:37 am

Im not to far from Marlboro. It is a good spot. I have 2 streams that I go to here. I use a sluice box most of the time but sometimes when I dont feel like carying the sluice I will just bring the pan. The one place is a hike to get to so sometimes the pan is the best bet.
GoldFever
golddust
golddust

Postby jsgoldny » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:25 am

Goldfever, Here in the finger lakes we are working Gullies and they aren't the easiest to get into, but is worth it. I've been using a dredge/highbanker combo. Also some sluicing. I've been prospecting four years now and have about two penny weights so far every year gets better. Does your stream have gravel or shale or both? Here we been working cracks in shale and find drop offs in gravels with got color. Glad to here from fellow NY prospectors and hope we can keep this NYgold forum going. Keep the pictures coming. jsgoldny :D
jsgoldny
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby GoldFever » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:38 am

Thats alot of lead. Nice gold though. The streams around here are mostly gravel. But there is some small bits of shale. There are also alot of little tiny garnets here to. Or at least I think they are. They are very very tiny. I am going to go out tommarow for alittle while. I hope to get out a few more times before witer really sets in.
GoldFever
golddust
golddust

Postby jsgoldny » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:50 am

Goldfever, there is proably garnet there as we find a lot of it here. Do you find any lead there? we found this is a good indacation that color is there. Also check out the what is it rock that I found. Still tring to find out what it is, so watch the material you are panning. Your gold seems to be more chucky than what I find. jsgoldny :D
jsgoldny
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby slick50 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 pm

GoldFever

thats some nice gold you are finding there :)
you should save all of your concentrates.
GOLD IS WERE YOU FIND IT
slick50
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jsgoldny » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:15 pm

Slick50, I've been saving my black sands hope to get it tested. I use a 30x microscope and see gold in it wish I new how to get it out. The picture is 3hours of panning in one spot. jsgoldny :)
jsgoldny
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby GoldFever » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:49 pm

What picture? I will start saving it. So far no lead. I do get a small bit of mercury though. I am going to hike further up stream past the waterfall tommarow and try my luck. I hope I find something it is a hell of a hike 2500 feet up..Straight up almost. I will get some pictures of my stream so everyone can see it..Also if anyone is close and ever wants to go just let me know. I also do alot pf Treasure Hunting. Metal Detecting on land and in water. I have some equipment. 5 detectors, and ROV, Pans, Sluices and such. So if anyone wants to do any type of Th'ing let me know. I also plan to go to some GPAA claims next year as I am a member. If anyone is interested in my finds you can check out my website to see all the pictures of the stuff I found. Its

www.freewebs.com/treasurehunter1462

We should set up type of a chat so we can all compare notes. This is the first NY board I have seen so lets start posting so we can keep it alive. Where is county is everyone from anyway?
GoldFever
golddust
golddust

Postby jsgoldny » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Goldfever, the pictures are in the gem and minerals post, of he rock I found. I have posted pictures of the guuly I work so you may want to do a little looking around in NYforum. I'm from Yates county I'm on the northwest corner of Keuka lake. I also do some metal detecting being doing it a just over a year and love it. Let us know how you make tomarrow.jsgoldny :D
jsgoldny
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Dave_Pa » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:29 am

Love to Tresure Hunt. Did a trip the summer befor last for a few days in north,west central Pa. Someone beet us to it. Boy was the adrenalin pumpin..... Toolbox is also a diver and I'd love to get into it. Shipwrecks intreag me. I've done a lot of snorkal and free dive, I picked up a hooka system last year but havn't had a chance to use it. Diveing is high on the list tho.
Dave_Pa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Nygold