• Advertisement

Anyone prospected near Candor NY?

Talk about New York gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Anyone prospected near Candor NY?

Postby pacomdiver » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Anyone prospected near Candor NY? my uncle bought 80 acres a couple miles outside town and it has a stream running thru a steep banked gorge from his pond outfall. its maybe 150 yards long. i was thinking of taking my goldcube up there this spring when all that snow finally melts. i was thinking of putting a couple "stream sluices" lined with shag carpet down on the bottom end and see what gets caught in the runoff
pacomdiver
golddust
golddust

Advertisement

Re: Anyone prospected near Candor NY?

Postby ezieg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

I don't know anything about gold in New York, but I like to test pan before I go through the trouble of setting up equipment. Good luck!
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby jkrem » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 pm

I have prospected in the Finger Lakes region to the northwest of Candor, and in Tioga County in Pennsylvania. The whole area was heavily glaciated, and based on my experience there is the possibility of finding some gold across the region. I would look for exposed bedrock on the property, and then look for some cracks dig out and pan. Note that in my experience any gold will be at the very bottom of the cracks, and usually tiny flattened pieces so be thorough in your cleaning. Some parts of this region are covered with 50-100 feet of glacial till, and as much as I like running a sluice I wouldn't bother until you have tried some sampling. I'd suggest a pan, safety pan, classifier, a sucker tube for getting stuff out of the bottom of cracks, and of course some tools for breaking open digging out the cracks. There are several extremely skilled prospectors who live in that region who may also respond to you. PM me if you would like some help one day in the Spring, I have a property near Mansfield, PA.
jkrem
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 pm

I have a co-worker who lives in Candor. I would imagine if you find exposed bedrock, you will find gold. The area is quite rich for NY standards..
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Return to Nygold