• Advertisement

The End Of Va-Gold

Site news will be posted here.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

The End Of Va-Gold

Postby Chuck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:54 am

I have decided to stop paying the server fees....I won't be paying this months fee. The forum will be up until sometime after midnight 19th/20th of this month.

If there's any info here that you would like to have you should copy it before then.....Any friends or contacts that you have here you should get their info so you have other means to contact them.

The reason I've made this difficult decision....there's not much traffic here anymore....it costs ~$500.00 a year with the server fees and domain fees....I get a donation here and there but most of that comes out of my pocket.

Most of what I do on the forum now is to approve new members when they sign up. (and deal with spammers and hackers) I have to check each one to make sure they aren't a spammer....I get an email each time someone registers here....I was getting an email about every minute....by the time I was able to get on the forum to take care of it I had 67 pages of new applications to go thru....every one was a spammer...took forever. I had to disable the registration page to stop it.

I also get an email each time a hacker tries to get into the server. I get pages and pages of email for days...I have to keep going in and changing the passwords to keep from getting hacked.

So it seems that I'm paying these fees just to keep hackers and spammers at bay.

I'll do a final backup of the forum on the 19th...at least I'll have everything on my computer....I'm going to keep the Va-Gold and Au-Prospecting domains at least for now.

I'm considering making a Va-Gold FB page...I have actually started working on it. Apparently someone has started a Va-Gold FB page but it's a closed group or not published....I can still use the name for a FB page but I won't be able to use a short FB address for it. If I do the FB page I'll post a link here for anyone thats interested.
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: The End Of Va-Gold

Postby ezieg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:35 pm

This is truly a shame, but I fully understand! This site has been very meaningful to me, and helped me get into this wonderful hobby. I'll be sad to see it go, but I wish you the best of luck! And thank you Chuck for keeping it alive as long as you did! Also, thanks to all the folks that have helped me over the years!
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby prospectinggeologist » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Shame to see it go. It was a great resource for knowledge on gold in Virginia. Is there a way you can send the back up of all the info to people who ask? Id like to be able to access for reference.

Thanks for everything you've done!
prospectinggeologist
picker
picker

Postby Chuck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:29 pm

The backup will be compressed and in a different format...there are almost 12 years of posts, pics, video...too many large files to open on a PC. The only way I know would be to transfer it to an FTP server, then you would need to access the server and download the files. Thats why we needed a dedicated server for this forum. It started out free hosting but grew so big that we had to move it over to our own server.

Not only the difficulty in transferring the files, there is also some private member info in there that I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing.
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ruffandtuff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:18 pm

Chuck, I want to personally thank you for "all" your time & money that you have used to support VA-Gold for many years now! What an undertaking! VA-Gold is the first thing that I check out when I access my computer. Thanks again! RuffandTuff.
Last edited by ruffandtuff on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sdbridges3 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes, thank you Chuck! It wasn't just Virginia gold that was covered in our posts. Many family trips were planned from the info available here on NC, SC, GA and CA (Randy's gold trips), etc. Appreciate what you've done for our hobby/passion!
-Steve B
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Postby Darth Placer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:56 pm

If you eliminate the videos and pictures upload option and use embedded youtube for video, embedded BBC code for pics the size of the forum shrinks drastically on the server. Much easier bill to foot. But you would have to dump the pictures and videos uploaded to date to get the cost down.

I have enjoyed my membership here and do appreciate all you do.... I know exactly what you do (I do it too) and why I have donated in the past. Willing to do it again if you think you can keep it going. Seems others here might be willing too.

Get in touch with me if you want to talk about it.

Regardless the site you have offered and the service you perform here has been greatly appreciated. It has been a wealth of information to me and helped further my prospecting into a much more enjoyable pastime. Gonna hate to see it go.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Buckets » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you Chuck. Sorry I never knew it was such a chore. We will miss VA-Gold. How long can we make donations?
Buckets
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby kaptain ken » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Thank you Chuck. Damm shame. Great site. Going to miss it. Taught me a lot. Thanks again for all your time and effort.
kaptain ken
picker
picker

Postby golddiver » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks Chuck,
I check in daily and learned a lot. Due health issues I am no longer prospecting. But still enjoyed to forum. I also did not know that it entailed all the work you described.

Golddiver
Jay in PA
golddiver
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Chuck,

I'm sad to hear VaGold will be no longer :( , I check the forum every day, it has been one of my favorite forum for many years, but I know what you are going through, I'm an Adminastrator on one forum and Moderate a few more, it's a never ending job.
I would love it if you do a VaGold Facebook page, count me in and I'll be watching for the possible announement.

Is there anyway you could do a online archive of the VaGold Forum so all the great info is still available to current members, I'm willing to help financially if that will make it a possiblilty, if you think it could be done contact me to see if we can work it out?

Skip
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:02 pm

It is already archived. https://web.archive.org/web/20160816055 ... /index.php

Google should have much of the same. Both are limited to the boards with guest viewing privileges though. The above link is a great resource for viewing websites that are no longer online. Comes in useful when doing research.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 pm

[quote="Darth Placer"]It is already archived. https://web.archive.org/web/20160816055 ... /index.php

Google should have much of the same. Both are limited to the boards with guest viewing privileges though. The above link is a great resource for viewing websites that are no longer online. Comes in useful when doing research.[/quote]

Thanks for the link Darth!

But unfortunately the archive on that site only goes back to 2009, that's losing about 5 years of content off VaGold, the early years where much was happening in Virgina and on the forum!
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:34 pm

It seems this site changed web domains in the past.. was able to find this one.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060317200 ... /index.php

Google might have more indexed on there servers.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:52 am

I am very sorry to hear this. Thank You Chuck for keeping a good thing going. Thank You Slick50!!! for getting a good thing started!!!

It is slow for any forum nowadays, but anyone and everyone is welcome at easterngoldseekers.com We love digging holes and slingin dirt 8)
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Next

Return to Site News