• Advertisement

The End Of Va-Gold

Site news will be posted here.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Re: The End Of Va-Gold

Postby jdtrailblazer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm

What a great site. Great job keeping things going for as long as you have. I will miss the friends and knowledge that is found here.
Jim P.
jdtrailblazer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Right now we're working on some ideas to make things easier and less costly. And there have been some donations...enough to keep it going for a few months...Thanks to those who have donated!
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jimbo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Chuck,

Can you tell me how I can donate to keep this going. Have enjoyed read the stories and the pic. Thanks for all your hard work in the past.
jimbo
golddust
golddust

Postby Darth Placer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:31 pm

portal.php its on the left side of the main page.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jimbo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the 411,
Just sent a donation. Hope it help's to keep the site up and running.
jimbo
golddust
golddust

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 pm

jimbo wrote:Thanks for the 411,
Just sent a donation. Hope it help's to keep the site up and running.

Thanks for supporting Va-Gold :D
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tinpan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Some things never die...
Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Pa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 am

thanks Chuck for your long commitment to this site.
sorry to see it go.
Dave_Pa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DPenhead » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 am

I am sure glad this site is still around. There are NO websites online that have as much technical information on them as this one. I have learned so much from y'all over the last 10 years. Thank you. It will be a very sad day to me if I return here to look a tidbit of info up that I cannot find anywhere else and this is gone. I don't know if there is any way to port this over to a Facebook group, or turn this into a phone app or something, but those are the things that I usually use these days the most. I have thought about how this site might be able to get out there for more people to enjoy and I think that if you can find a way to own your own server, then you could host this group and all of it's info from the past on your own system at your own house forever. Not just that, but you could also sell space on your server to offset your costs for the internet. I don't know what your internet speed is, but mine is about 1Gig/sec for around $80 a month. Gastonia, NC. Check out this link to see more about what I am talking about. It might be a way to make VA-Gold permanently free for you. Also, read the comments. - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3drudder-review/
DPenhead
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Running your own private server is not a good way to go unless you seriously know what you are doing. I know of plenty of people who thought knew what they were doing for the most part only to end up with there sites hacked, all the members info lifted, and all the other issues that stemmed from these events.

Constant updating, upgrades, edits, patches, and other chores have to be done whether you have the time or don't. Anything short of that leads to disaster, followed by a angry mob of exploited members. There are plenty of hosting options in the 30$-70$ range which are worth it. That money pays for itself when the first headache arises..... the host takes care of it while you just sit back. Just avoid hosts like GoDaddy and you will be fine.

Storage space is the only concern when it comes to paid hosting. Much of that can be handled by not allowing direct image uploads and have the poster embed there pic from a online photo sharing service of there choice (imgur/tinypic/facebook etc). I do/have done this on many sites I run and it does work to keep the cost down really cheap.

I use http://graywebhost.com/ as an example. They aren't kidding with there claim of 99.9% uptime either. They are a very reliable, and stable host.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Previous

Return to Site News