• Advertisement

What got you started prospecting

Talk about anything here

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

What got you started prospecting

Postby happyharvick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm

What got you into the hobby?
A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon
happyharvick
goldflake
goldflake

Advertisement

Re: What got you started prospecting

Postby buccaneer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:16 pm

rock collecting
buccaneer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby l1ranger » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:41 pm

one day, it occured to me that I'm always out on the water and in the woods, who's to say I might spend some of that time and find some gold, so I googled gold in Virginia and ended up here. up til then, I never knew that was (or wasn't) gold in VA. unfortunately this never occured to me when I actually lived near the gold. you would think with places called goldvein and mine run I might have picked up on it, but sometimes I'm a little slow
Josh

“All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.”
l1ranger
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ezieg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

I have always loved the outdoors, but a few years ago I started smelting iron using the ancient bloomery process to make iron for authentic reproduction work. In my quest for knowledge on that topic I came across "the pirotechnia of Vannoccio Biringuccio" a sixteenth century treatise on metallurgy. Some how the author reached through the centuries and inspired me to broaden my metalworking horizons. After finding my first gold I was fully sick with gold fever. Haven't smelted iron since, but I need to get back to that this summer.
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby ProspectorAl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:27 pm

In my case it was watching Gold Fever every weekend for two years.
ProspectorAl
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby frfenner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Lake Superior Agates with my Dad every summer
frfenner
picker
picker

Postby Buckets » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Never knew there was gold in the eastern states until I read a local newspaper article about 10 years ago.
Buckets
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby bhunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm

About 8-9 yrs ago, watching gold fever, thought, i like the outdoors, i should check this out, Had the fever ever since !!. Been to Cal, AK, Va and NC and found some in each !!
bhunter
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Zoop » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I saw someone panning in a creek while i was out picking my young brother up from hiking. My mind was boggled! I never had known that gold was all along the eastern shore all i had ever heard was out west or in alaska. I came home jumped on my computer and ordered a pan that day and next weekend was out finding fly poop specs i could barely see and was really excited about it! I was hooked... and it only gets worse. The more gold i find the more i can not stop thinking about going back to the creek! My family and girlfriend are sick of my talking about it!
Zoop
goldflake
goldflake

Postby ironhead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I got into prospecting along with my business partner/friend within the last year. We both are outdoors men and we have both watched gold rush, gold fever, ect....... I did a little research and i googled (is there gold in Virginia?) and man was i surprised at what i read. When i got to work the next day i informed my buddy that before the gold rush Virginia was one of the leading states in gold production and we lived within 2 hours of documented gold mines. We have been hooked ever since. It seems to be all my time is consumed with finding gold. We are both building our own high bankers and hope to find some more color soon.
ironhead

Postby enckevin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39 am

For me it was a good 8 to ten years ago, seeing a show about the gold rush while on duty one night (Navy). I hit google and sure enough there was gold in Va. only a couple hours from me. That next morning i was off and running to purchase a pan (dollar store pan shaped like a gold pan) from there i drove from Virginia beach to Lake Ann park and started my search. We'll just say i didnt find anything other than the fact that more research was needed. From that day forward I'v been hooked, getting cons in the mail and purchasing bags of dirt while on vacation. I'm now retired (3yrs) and have moved to Locust grove dead in gold country. My search for my own gold (not purchased) has ended with 7 flakes from CC just last week. Lets just say that there is a new fire in my tummy and cant wait for more of that good stuff in my pan.
enckevin
golddust
golddust

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

ezieg wrote:I have always loved the outdoors, but a few years ago I started smelting iron using the ancient bloomery process to make iron for authentic reproduction work. In my quest for knowledge on that topic I came across "the pirotechnia of Vannoccio Biringuccio" a sixteenth century treatise on metallurgy. Some how the author reached through the centuries and inspired me to broaden my metalworking horizons. After finding my first gold I was fully sick with gold fever. Haven't smelted iron since, but I need to get back to that this summer.

I read that black sand was used for making iron way back when....have you done this?
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gunny C » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Gold Rush and my 10 yr old daughter got me started. About 2 years ago we would watch gold rush all the time. My daughter said 'Daddy can we try that". Not wanting to let her down I grabbed a couple Frisbees and some garden shovels and hit the local creek with both kids. After about 10 min she was bored and did her thing while me and her younger brother worked the water. Once the boy found his first flake he was addicted. So now he's my little sidekick. She will still go to the creek but its just to lounge around in the sun and enjoy nature. Im happy with that cause they are out of the house and we get to spend so time outdoors together.
Last edited by Gunny C on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunny C
picker
picker

Postby ezieg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Chuck wrote:
ezieg wrote:I have always loved the outdoors, but a few years ago I started smelting iron using the ancient bloomery process to make iron for authentic reproduction work. In my quest for knowledge on that topic I came across "the pirotechnia of Vannoccio Biringuccio" a sixteenth century treatise on metallurgy. Some how the author reached through the centuries and inspired me to broaden my metalworking horizons. After finding my first gold I was fully sick with gold fever. Haven't smelted iron since, but I need to get back to that this summer.

I read that black sand was used for making iron way back when....have you done this?

I have not tried black sand yet.... I will eventually as it piles up. I really started prospecting for iron ore's 6-7 years ago. Old school iron smelting requires 50-60 lbs of roasted and crushed ore, plus 150-200 lbs of real, good quality charcoal. That, plus a furnace and 8 hours of actual smelting will get you a twenty pound (if all goes well) lump of spongy iron. I like gold prospecting though, it's just as "profitable :lol: ", and usually I'm carrying less weight out of the woods. If only I could break the habit of collecting heavy rocks and any piece of slag I find.
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Interesting. Not very cost effective but a good skill to have if TSHTF :lol:
Chuck
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Talk