• Advertisement

Crater of Diamonds State park , AR

Talk about anything here

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Crater of Diamonds State park , AR

Postby Prospector69 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm thinking about trying my hand at looking for gem stones as well gold this year. The Crater of Diamonds is on my way to Branson, Mo to visit my parents and do some trout fishing. Nearly, a 1000 miles each way so I want to do as much as I can. I figure I'll start with Crater first for a couple of days and then Branson. Diamonds won't spoil but trout sure would if I don't I freeze them and pick up some dry ice before I leave Mo.
Anyone been to the Crater of Diamonds, AR and tried their hand? I already know its a pay to dig. I also read that the largest diamond found was 43 carats and pale yellow but I'll be happy with smaller ones!
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Crater of Diamonds State park , AR

Postby Buckets » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 pm

I've been there about 10 times and no diamonds but it is fun. It is a small town in a very rural county that prohibits the sale of all alcoholic beverages. Several counties through there are like that. You can dig and screen, but many of the bigger diamonds are found by first-time visitors just looking down at the ground.
Buckets
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby sdbridges3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am

I have watched the videos of how they "screen" the dirt for diamonds. Was wondering if just using one of our gold pans with the usual panning technique would accomplish the same. Are you going to bring one of your pans and try it?

-Steve B
sdbridges3
picker
picker

Postby Prospector69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I am taking a couple of my own pans and classifiers. I looked closely at their screens, mesh is way to large. I've researched the size of a one carat diamond. Cubic shape. 5/32" per side. For 83 cents I bought a colander that has holes smaller than that also fits my 5 gal bucket and pan from Good Will Store. Also, in "cutting" its common to lose half of the diamond. Were you also looking for pyrope garnet, peridot and spinel since they are also hosted by kimberlite. Thanks for your info.
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Buckets » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Found lots of agates and a few other things. There were other posts on this site about Crater of Diamonds. There are places you can pay to dig quartz crystals about an hour north of the Crater but I haven't been to those. Hope you have a good trip.
Buckets
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Prospector69 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:24 am

I was talking to my Dad yesterday and he told me that about two weeks ago, a first timer kid just wondering around found a big diamond. He didn't remember the weight though.
As for just panning, diamond have a specific gravity of 3.5. Pyrope garnet is slightly heavier, (black sand is 5-5.5 sg) but most gems are a little lighter so they would go over the rim of the pan like sand 2.65 sg. Why know this? Heavier than diamond means that a slightly smaller pyrope will equal one carat, lighter means that that material will have to bigger to make one carat. I'm surprised that no one fact check me on my 5/32" hole size. In truth, 5/32" is .005" bigger than a one carat diamond. The actual size should be .15164" or 3.8517mm, whereas my colander/classifier is 5/32" or .156". My eyes aren't as good as they once were, bigger is better! Planning on making and taking a smaller classifier to put under my colander classifier and look for color and shape. Maybe 1/8th inch would be good. Don't want to get to extreme. Got to remember cutting fees and end size of the stone. No profit no reason to do a lot but then some gem/mineral collectors prefer items in the rough. Also, it is better for collectors if there is any host rock attached. For a collector paying 3-4 time the normal price is the norm. I hope that my posts have helped current and future gem prospectors.
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to General Talk