• Advertisement

Persimmons coming on

Talk about anything here

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Persimmons coming on

Postby Prospector69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 am

Looked at the seven persimmon tree in my yard. Two were here when we bought the property. Guess that the deer that move though the property seeded the yard. They have gotten bigger and starting to turn golden so it won't be long now. Got 40 on one tree and 45 on the ones that I counted. Other trees also have persimmons on them. I only wish that they were of the Japanese variety instead of the American. Now I have to get a ricer to get to the good stuff and decide what I want to cook and eat first!
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Persimmons coming on

Postby ruffandtuff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Mr Prospector69, the deer will probably be back to clean you out if they are in the area. I have a persimmon tree on my property in the Richmond, Va area that has great persimmons & can eat even before frost. The deer always gets the ones that fall on the ground over night. During the daytime, i usually find several that the wind causes to fall on the grass. Also, the deer has been getting my FuYu Persimmons (Japanese Persimmon - looks like a tomato & eats like an apple) on my property in Fairfax County for the past three years. This year I installed 7 foot bird netting that keeps deer out of my persimmons and grapes. So far so good! Thanks, RuffandTuff.
Last edited by ruffandtuff on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Prospector69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Sorry about your living in Fairfax, to many MS-13 gang members for me. Anyway, back to persimmons. I believe it was Awdawg that picks them early and then stores them in paper bags to finish ripening. I'll have to get a ricer to separate the seeds and peels from the pulp. I found a good one, I hope, on line for less than $20 and it should take 6-7 persimmons at a time. Now, its what to make first? Perhaps, pick the persimmons before what to make!
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby l1ranger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am

many fruit will ripen quicker in paper bag. somethign about trapping the gases but allowing fresh air movement.
too much biology for me - but it does work.
Josh

“All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.”
l1ranger
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am

Persimmons often have a 'pucker' factor that I find unpleasant before first frost . Ripening in a paper bag helps, but often still get some that don't turn .
We have lost a few jars of jam in the past when 1 or more unripe ruined the whole batch . I have not been able to check my trees yet, but I'm sure the coons,possums, deer etc. will take a toll ..
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Prospector69 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 am

Just wondering about a couple of things. Perhaps the problem of deer and other critters can be solved by a fine net under the trees that is suspended just below the lowest branches. In the med-east, I've seen this sort of thing done for olives, almonds and other foods that are beaten off the branches or shaken off. often the netting/tarp is just lain on the ground for the day and retrieved before dusk. Other times the nets/tarps are suspended.
The other thing I was pondering is your screen name pronunciation. Should it be "A Dawg or Awwww Dog"? A Dawg is kind of lifeless But, Awww Dog hints at playfulness, something witty and funny was just said or done that is humorous in its strangeness. Our readers really want to know! Just playing.
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Wish I knew where I could buy some of these... Morels too.. all this talk makes me want to try em.

I feel I'm really missing out.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Prospector69 wrote:Just wondering about a couple of things. Perhaps the problem of deer and other critters can be solved by a fine net under the trees that is suspended just below the lowest branches. In the med-east, I've seen this sort of thing done for olives, almonds and other foods that are beaten off the branches or shaken off. often the netting/tarp is just lain on the ground for the day and retrieved before dusk. Other times the nets/tarps are suspended.
The other thing I was pondering is your screen name pronunciation. Should it be "A Dawg or Awwww Dog"? A Dawg is kind of lifeless But, Awww Dog hints at playfulness, something witty and funny was just said or done that is humorous in its strangeness. Our readers really want to know! Just playing.

Most trees I find have a good bit of undergrowth that would need to be cut out for a net/tarp .. Dunno,guess it depends on your situation .
Persimmons are good, but I won't work too hard for em . :lol:
The handle adawg ? Long story .. It is 'A Dawg' kinda run together .. But 'Awwww Dog' or even 'Santa' works for that matter .. :lol:
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby ruffandtuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Mr Adawg, I was on my Richmond area property on Friday (22Sep) and I immediately saw some Common Persimmons on the grass. They looked ripe & so I proceeded to eat them. I really enjoyed them since they were "ripe". This is an unusual tree! The norm is for the frost before eating. Thanks, RuffandTuff.
Last edited by ruffandtuff on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

just waiting for that first frost here I love persimmon pudding especially the crispy crust around the edge of the pan
dawg its good to see you posting again hope your recovering well
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to General Talk