• Advertisement

Gold-filled Geodes

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Gold-filled Geodes

Postby mountaineer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:41 am

I was out prospecting a few days ago when I found a geode about the size of a golfball.As I started to pick it up ,I noticed powder falling out of the bottom.I quickly turned it over realizing the powder might be gold dust.After bringing it home for further testing, it appears to be a 20kt+ gold-filled geode with a calcite/silica outer crust about 1 cm thick.It weighed almost 1 ounce( after I accidently dump about 1/4 ounce of dust picking it up).
So I went back looking for more and hit the geode jackpot!These geodes are very rare and will only be found at certain locations where shale fronts change to sandstone.Good luck to any one looking for them?
Mountaineer
mountaineer
picker
picker

Advertisement

Postby hancer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:33 am

sounds like you hit the jackpot :lol: :wink:
hancer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby goldbasser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:45 am

thats cool, can you post some photos I would love to see those
in serch of fun
HG Bad, AU Good
goldbasser
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby bob » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:22 am

did you find that geode in this area meaning wv pa md or va area?
shale and limestone humm ive done alot of deep digging in pa
under my dads house we dug a full basement and a coal bin under the house ya i know picture that huh but anyway that whole mountian he lives on is shale and the underneath side is loaded with old coal mine shafts but they are filled with water and i dont want to know what else
i have found gold at the opening of one shaft that has a creek that runs through the opening
opps off the suject please post some pics it sounds cool
bob
bob
goldnugget
goldnugget

Gold-filled Geodes

Postby mountaineer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Yep!!!Good ole West by God smile when ya say it Virginia.
mountaineer
picker
picker

Unusual sedimentary geodes filled by gold-bearing hematite l

Postby my69pickup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:07 am

i found this interesting. gold filled geodes? what a thought.

Unusual mineralized and silicified carbonate-rich geodes were found hosted in Lower Triassic red mudstones in Central Spain. From their borders to their centres, the geodes display (a) a millimetric carbonate crust, (b) a quartz rim, (c) massive dolomite, (d) gold-bearing iron-rich infills (hematite laths and goethite with up to 7000 ppm of gold) and (e) calcite cements that sometimes seal the central hollow. Textural evidence indicates that the geodes were originally anhydrite, which was subsequently replaced by quartz and dolomite. The resultant porosity from this replacement, or by later dissolution, has been filled by epithermal gold-bearing iron-oxide hydroxides, romanechite and calcite.

[delta]13C values indicate the participation of meteoric waters in an environment which was characterized by both a sub-desert climate and a temperate–tropical climate. Oxygen signatures reflect very variable temperatures for all minerals, with the exception of calcite, which appears to have precipitated at <38°C. Iron-oxide temperature values can reach up to 85°C (epithermal stage). The mineralogical assemblages of these unusual geodes denote early diagenetic replacement followed by the epithermal activity. This mineralization is linked to the Late Hercynian, calc-alkaline volcanism of Central Spain (the Hiendelaencina mining district).
(Received March 18 1999)
(Accepted September 8 1999)
my69pickup
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby SemprGold » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Damn WVA Yankees!
SemprGold
The More People I meet the More I like my Dog!
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

gold-filled geodes

Postby mountaineer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 am

Sorry Sempr,the only yanks in this state are about six feet below prospecting grade.
mountaineer
picker
picker

Re: Unusual sedimentary geodes filled by gold-bearing hemati

Postby Goldveiner » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey Buccaneer, did you catch the mention of Goethite and gold in section d ?

my69pickup wrote:i found this interesting. gold filled geodes? what a thought.

Unusual mineralized and silicified carbonate-rich geodes were found hosted in Lower Triassic red mudstones in Central Spain. From their borders to their centres, the geodes display (a) a millimetric carbonate crust, (b) a quartz rim, (c) massive dolomite, (d) gold-bearing iron-rich infills (hematite laths and goethite with up to 7000 ppm of gold) and (e) calcite cements that sometimes seal the central hollow. Textural evidence indicates that the geodes were originally anhydrite, which was subsequently replaced by quartz and dolomite. The resultant porosity from this replacement, or by later dissolution, has been filled by epithermal gold-bearing iron-oxide hydroxides, romanechite and calcite.

[delta]13C values indicate the participation of meteoric waters in an environment which was characterized by both a sub-desert climate and a temperate–tropical climate. Oxygen signatures reflect very variable temperatures for all minerals, with the exception of calcite, which appears to have precipitated at <38°C. Iron-oxide temperature values can reach up to 85°C (epithermal stage). The mineralogical assemblages of these unusual geodes denote early diagenetic replacement followed by the epithermal activity. This mineralization is linked to the Late Hercynian, calc-alkaline volcanism of Central Spain (the Hiendelaencina mining district).
(Received March 18 1999)
(Accepted September 8 1999)
Goldveiner
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby SemprGold » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Mountaineer because the Civil War is a fascination of mine but ALL you West Virginians are Yankees.

West Virgina succeed from Virginia in 1861 when Virginia succeeded from the Union. In November 1862 the Second Wheeling convention reconvened, changes name of new state to West Virginia, begins to draft a constitution, and extends the boundaries. In December of 1862 President Lincoln approves the act of admission to the Union, to take effect upon the insertion into the State constitution of a clause that would provide for the gradual emancipation of slaves.

On June 20 1863- West Virginia admitted to the Union as 35th state with Arthur I. Boreman of Parkersburg as the first governor.

So you see you have a Proud History of being a Yankee state it's not meant in a bad way it was good and right thing to do.
SemprGold
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby spankster13 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Semp, dont want to argue here but they might say we were voted as union , but as always the panhandle I live in was and always will be Confederate!!!!! You know how those liberals are! Remember where the bloddiest battles were fought were within 30 miles of Martinsburg where I live. (Gettysburg only 65miles from Martinsburg, Antietem only 20 miles) Shame we were considered union and we (confederates) always knew where to run for saftey. Just food for thought

Spankster
spankster13
picker
picker

Postby SemprGold » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:27 pm

That's not ALL quite True spankster about running to WVA for safety.

West Virginia State constitution deny citizenship and suffrage to all persons who had supported the Confederacy.

WVA sent more 40,000 Union Soliders to War Spankster Only about 10,000 joined the Confederacy

The Actual Bloodiest Battle was Gettysburg the Bloodiest Day was Antienam the Top 10 Bloodiest Battles list in order from the Civil War Home Page are defined as:

Battle of Gettysburg
Casualties: 51,112 (23,049 Union and 28,063 Confederate)
Battle of Chickamauga
Casualties: 34,624 (16,170 Union and 18,454 Confederate)
Battle of Chancellorsville
Casualties: 30,099 (17,278 Union and 12,821 Confederate)
Battle of Spotsylvania
Casualties: 27,399 (18,399 Union and 9)000 Confederate)
Battle of Antietam
Casualties: 26,134 (12,410 Union and 13,724 Confederate)
Battle of The Wilderness
Casualties: 25,416 (17,666 Union and 7,750 Confederate)
Battle of Second Manassas
Casualties: 25,251 (16,054 Union and 9,197 Confederate)
Battle of Stone's River
Casualties: 24,645 (12,906 Union and 11,739 Confederate)
Battle of Shiloh
Casualties: 23,741 (13,047 Union and 10,694 Confederate)
Battle of Fort Donelson
Casualties: 19,455 (2,832 Union and 16,623 Confederate)

WVA may be below thee Mason Dixion line but it IS a UNION Yankee State.

But enough about History Let's Talk GOLD
SemprGold
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jackgold » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Hey I'm wondering how this went from geodes to civil war.Can ya'll tell me?
jackgold61
jackgold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby SemprGold » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Five posts up from YOURS Jack I waas responding to Mountaineers reply to me. So YES I did it!

It's all in Good Fun Jack.
Last edited by SemprGold on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SemprGold
SemprGold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Tinpan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Smep,

Your true colors show..only yankees call it the civil war. True Virginians refer to it for what it was ... the " War of Northern Aggression"

Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gold Prospecting