• Advertisement

Beautiful Burnt River, Oregon

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Beautiful Burnt River, Oregon

Postby shack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Here are some pics from Burnt River, Oregon. I'll get more on as the week progresses.

It's not the wooded forest I was expecting, but just mountainous high plains with scattered trees here and there. Can't wait to dip the pan in the Burnt.

Shack
Attachments
oregondeer.jpg
Don't drool hunters. This is not in a national forest or park. Just running wild...
burntriveroregon.jpg
The Burnt River
burntrivercanyon.jpg
The canyon carved by the Burnt River
http://www.shacksgold.com
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Beautiful Burnt River, Oregon

Postby shack » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm

more
Attachments
rainbow.jpg
Caught a shot of this rainbow tonight when I was out looking at the Virtue Mine and Ruckles Creek. Hummm.... gold at the end of the rainbow? Yup.
storm.jpg
Tonight, a storm rolled into Baker City right at sunset. One of my favorite pics so far this trip.
trucks.jpg
I found this neat row of old trucks rotting in a field.
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jdtrailblazer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Very nice Shack!!
jdtrailblazer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:17 am

Looks like they got a lil water in the creeks there ! Awesome pics !
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby shack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:21 am

Yup, the Burnt River is moving pretty good. There was a pretty nasty storm that went through about an hour before that photo was taken. Came, dumped, and left. I wish it did that in VA.... :?
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ellrabin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 am

Man, I hate seeing an old car graveyard like that. There's a dude right down the street from my parents in Falmouth who must have 100+ old Fords in the woods behind his house. I snuck back in there once, he's got some rare mustangs that'd be worth tens of thousands of dollars. He has at least three '71 fastbacks with the Cobra Jet package. He won't sell so much as a single part from them. The guy's in his 80's and swears he's going to restore them all, but I've been watching them die for the past 20 years.

It does make a pretty picture, though. You should submit some of these to the National Geographic, they've got a section for amateur photography where they post a few random pics each month.
between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion
ellrabin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Butch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 am

So who burnt the river and how does one go about burning a river, I once heard about a river burning in Cincinnati, they said it was polluted. Is this burnt river polluted?, is there gold in it?
Butch

Postby shack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 am

Oh yeah, there's gold in it. Not sure about pollution, it runs right out of the mountains. I would imagine it's like the typical mountain river, pretty darn clean.

The story I heard about the name was that the native americans used to burn the surrounding lands during big game hunts to force the animals towards them.

Shack
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Sempr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 am

The Burnt River

It is said that settlers named the river for the burned trees flanking the sides of the river and the area was
prone to large fires in the days the covered wagons were passing accross the land. The fires burned the vegitation from the surrounding hillsides and allowed sediment to flow freely into the river turning it a chocolate brown color, thus the name “Burnt River”. The river color still runs in a color consistent with its name, but now from a different type of sediment. "Ranch Run Off"
Sempr USMC Ret.
Sempr
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28 pm

LOL, I imagine the lower Burnt has some cow nuggets in it! This river is 50 miles long and irrigates many miles of farm land. Welcome to Oregon!

I drove the entire length of river and guess that 3/4 of it is down in flat lands, and the other 1/4, the headwaters, is up in the mountains. That's where I am right now, about 8 miles above the LDMA Burnt River property. Steep canyon here, definitely no cows! Some cool deer and turkey, even some big horned mountain goats. The last farm I saw was about 10 miles back where Burnt River Canyon Road turned from pavement to gravel.

Shack
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:11 pm

That is awesome Shack !! What is the difference between BLM land, and National Forest.?? As far as claims and prospecting go.
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Bobg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Butch wrote:So who burnt the river and how does one go about burning a river, I once heard about a river burning in Cincinnati, they said it was polluted. Is this burnt river polluted?, is there gold in it?

Cincinnati has enough problems, without throwing a burning river at them. It was the Cayahoga river, in Cleveland that caught fire. Warped a railroad draw bridge in the process.

Fine pics Shack. I'm looking forward to after you get to dip those pans.
Did you ever make any of that BBQ sauce?
Bobg
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jackgold » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Whatever you do while out there, be careful.
Jackgold61
jackgold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Woodchuck,

In a nutshell...

BLM = manage lands set aside for public use
US Forest Service = preserve and protect lands for public enjoyment.

The Bureau of Land Management manages over 250 million acres of public lands. Their most common tasks are preventing fires, issuing personal use permits, restoring forest health, and forest product sales (timber). BLM land was send aside specifically for public use and is not as regulated or protected like land within national forests. Good example: Today, I saw the largest off road vehicle and ATV park I've ever seen. It's near the Virtue Mine off of Ruckles Creek Loop Road and was as far as the eye could see (over 5,000 acres of tracks, trails, jumps, you name it). That land is set aside simply to be enjoyed by off-roaders. That's what BLM does. They've got lands set aside for timber cutting, off road vehicle use, ranching, hunting, just about anything you can think of. Best part about BLM land is that mining is permitted even on lands where other activities are taking place. That means you can mine on the same land that is being harvested for timber.

The US Forest Service is an agency of the USDA. They manage about 190 million acres of land set aside within the National Forest System. The lands within National Forests can be used by the public, but the NFS has more restrictive rules based upon preservation with some public use. The National Forests are a good deal, IHMO. They're some of the most gorgeous lands in the country. I agree with setting them aside for preservation. Some of their rules are a little wacky, but they're all based around preservation. I'm glad they allow us to mine on them. There's some rich rivers within our National Forests.

There's not too much difference with regards to mining claims on BLM land or NFS land. You still have to abide by the federal mining laws and those laws passed by each state. However, BLM land normally has fewer restrictions. The gov't wants this land to be used to the max extent possible. To farmers, some of it is useless, but to miners, there's gold in there. Some of the land is useless for timber harvest but perfect for ranchers, oil and gas, or mining. Uncle Sam had the grand idea of letting the public use these lands. This puts money back into the economy. I know for a fact that obtaining surface and lode mining permits on BLM land is a helluva lot easier on BLM land than it is on NF land.

Hope this helps!

Shack

Edit: I like them both because there is gold on both!
Last edited by shack on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby LonGToM » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

sweeeet pics man ! hope your havin a blast out there. :D
You know, they'll talk you up and down
they'll carry you, round and round.
don't you mind people grinnin' in your face.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... d=33607948
LonGToM
goldnugget
goldnugget

Next

Return to Gold Prospecting