• Advertisement

The Underflow Sluice

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

The Underflow Sluice

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

Hey all you gold getters!! I was wondering what your thoughts are on this underflow sluice. This guy claims that it will capture all the gold even the fines and you'll walk away with clean gold. Supposedly there's no need to take your cons home because all you're left with is gold... Not sure I buy it but what are your thoughts?

Check out some of these vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTLkHwtW ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8NRfzu ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYddTsB ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_e0FYR ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rM-Z_Wc ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2VU1fy ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnSjaaO ... re=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK1IqatC ... re=channel
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: The Underflow Sluice

Postby newboot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

Its just my opinion that any sluice will bring home clean gold when your recovering large pieces of gold. On the videos it appeared to me that those were nuggets and pickers. There didnt appear to be any gold dust but maybe I missed it. The video that showed micro gold didnt have a size reference to compare to. It didnt appear to be true micro gold to me. Everybodys definition of micro gold is different so maybe it was micro gold to him. It still looks like an interesting sluice.
Last edited by newboot on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
newboot
goldflake
goldflake

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:10 am

newboot wrote:Its just my opinion that any sluice will bring home clean gold when your recovering large pieces of gold. On the videos it appeared to me that those were nuggets and pickers. There didnt appear to be any gold dust but maybe I missed it. The video that showed micro gold didnt have a size reference to compare to. It didnt appear to be true micro gold to me. Everybodys definition of micro gold is different so maybe it was micro gold to him. It still looks like an interesting sluice.

It does look like an interesting sluice and that was my main reason for posting it. I did email him about it just to see what the pricing was. I told him I was interested possibly purchasing a sluice (depending on cost) and he wanted to know my specifications such as the size of material I run and what I would like to classify to as well as what size range of gold I would like to capture... Of course, I was like Huh???? Anyway, I told him that I would like to run material at 1/2 inch classification and get gold as small as 80 mesh. We shall see what he says...
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby newboot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Even if it isn't designed for extremely small gold, its still a very interesting method of recovery. Thanks for the topic goldgeologist2011 and keep us posted on his response.
Last edited by newboot on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
newboot
goldflake
goldflake

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Well he emailed me back and his prices are based on ones needs. However, his main production right now is a sluice for almost $500 but it classifies and cleans the gold for you. Just dump your sediment and pocket your gold at the end of the day. This sluice is 12 inches wide and 5 feet long with a longer material slick plate at 24" That's one hell of a sluice (as far as size goes).

He also has another production of a mini sluice which im sure will be a far more common purchase I figure it's just a smaller version of the above but he didnt give any dimensions. The cost for this sluice will be $150. It's still a bit high but much better the nearly $500. I am willing to test one of these out because I have the side cash right now to do so. It looks like an interesting sluice and if it works it'll pay off. I need a decent sluice anyway.
Last edited by goldgeologist2011 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 am

It appears that the Mini sluice was actually designed for set up at home :roll: Who's going to bay $500 dollars for a river sluice??? Not me, that's for damn sure.... It would have to make gold for me to purchase it for that.
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby l1ranger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 am

its interesting, but all i really saw in the videos was that it works great in his basement when he controls the conditions. it also appears to classify well on the river, but at 5' x 1', its gonna take a lot of water to run it I would think and none of the streams I've prospected here in VA can supply that much water reliably. i can't help but be a little skeptical.
at 500 bucks, if i had the money I''d have to build one myself so i could tweak and play with it.
Josh

“All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.”
l1ranger
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:54 am

Apparently, after I told him that I wanted one to run in the river and not at home he said that he has a medium sluice for that.... It's going to be $250. That's quite a bit of money for a sluice still but all in all it may be worth it IF it does all the classifying, and cleans your gold like its suppose to. Supposedly he has a website but he's had problems with it getting up and running.
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

looks like it works on well clasified material but I see cloging problems in a stream use and when he increased the water flow to remove the gravel it would have flushed any flour gold on through
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby goldgeologist2011 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:16 pm

obdiah wrote:looks like it works on well clasified material but I see cloging problems in a stream use and when he increased the water flow to remove the gravel it would have flushed any flour gold on through

Yea, it's really hard to say if it works or not.... Unless someone actually tests this thing in the river then there's practically no way to tell.
goldgeologist2011
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jimfurr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi, Has anyone tried this product yet?

Maybe we could find some Reviews if we Google it -??

As far as water volume goes, if you pay $250 for something like this,
you would also want to invest in a water pump of some sort,
(probably electric). Just large enough to get the desired
water volume flowing. Two car batteries should be
enough to last a long time, (I like electric
because of the noise factor, and
startup is not a problem!).

This is the sluice I picked out and will purchase this spring along
with a pump. If someone has tried it out, please respond!! No
use others spending up to $300 if this sluice does not work.

I also agree that it could be built for a lot less money, so how
bout it] you folks who like to tinker, you have all winter to
produce a working model :)

Jim Furr ><>
Last edited by jimfurr on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimfurr

Postby sanman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

I tinker every day and wont waist my time on this...

Jim, If this was a "Must Have" product it would have sold by the thousands...

Classification is the key,....Lets say you have a bucket of cons and you classify to 20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90 and 100...

Now if you put, lets say the 60 mesh cons in this contraption and adjust the angle and water flow just right it will work fine...

Without that classification you will lose AU...

I can pan faster than this thing works...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby kruzman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 pm

his process works under very controlled conditionions. also the gate will blow out everything with a surface area to mass ratio than it is calibrated for. so flakey stuff goes right through. bigger pieced of gold and rocks will also cause vortexes that will kick the finer stuff out as well. It may work great in a lab with all the variables being predefined and known but in real world it will either clog, or blow out. trust me, I have tested the idea myself on a prototype. its not a new idea, its a water colume. the normal use is not to trap the gold in the drop, but to capture it after the drop where it falls out of the colume. this use is mutch more reliable.
Last edited by kruzman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kruzman
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby jimfurr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 am

Cool!

Saves me time and money ...

Thank You :)
jimfurr

Postby UnderFlow Guy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 am

I own and use the UnderFlow high banker model and absolutely love it. Worth every penny. You can capture the smallest particles of Gold with proper classification and water control. So many folks are hung up on yardage and miss a lot of fines. I'm getting 40-60% more fine flour and micron Gold digging in the same spot. The only thing that has changed is my use of the UnderFlow. I used to use a Keene and put my UnderFlow to the test. I ran the Keene above the UnderFlow and was absolutely blown away at what the UnderFlow caught that my old Keene was blowing out. I'm looking into purchasing one of their Ultimate River Sluices as it requires no classification. Looking forward to putting it to the test in a creek I got some good samples out of. I've been prospecting and mining Gold for over 20 years and the UnderFlow gets a big thumbs up from me. It works on gemstones, too.
UnderFlow Guy

Next

Return to Gold Prospecting