• Advertisement

my screw-up, thought i would share

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

my screw-up, thought i would share

Postby ezieg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 pm

so, I wanted to post this to save the next person the frustration. I usually use jet dry when cleaning my cons, but I seem to have misplaced my bottle. So... being over eager to clean up some gold I figured I would grab my Dr. Bonners peppermint soap and put a few drops in. WRONG move, it doesn't act the way I thought it would... gold and heavies were floating all over the place. I normally have pretty fine gold, but even some of the bigger thin flakes just up and washed out of my pan. I can recover from this thanks to my safety pan, put thought I would share.
ezieg
picker
picker

Advertisement

Re: my screw-up, thought i would share

Postby sanman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Gold doesn't like peppermint soap,...But you could have added Dawn in a pinch...... :wink:
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Sam Burgin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Sam Burgin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ezieg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:43 am

An awful lot of oil in that stuff, if I had only read the ingredients... I'm not sure if we have dawn in our kitchen, my wife is overly insistent on organic products. Our current dish soap has glycerin in it, which seems like it would make gold float as well. I usually keep some Palmolive around the shop, I use it for putting a patina on brass and bronze. not sure if that would work, but i think I'm done experimenting. Next time I'm at Walmart I'll be stocking up on jetdry, or it's equivalent.

Sam, what do you use in your operation? I have seen your pics of super fine gold, and I love my falcon finishing pan, which I bought after your recommendation here.
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby kruzman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:26 am

i've never bothered with additives, just get the hang of not allowing the gold to get aired out when panning. also floating gold in your pan is an indication you might be just a little too gentle with it, turbulence breaks the water's surface tension which drops the floaters...
kruzman
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ezieg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:57 pm

interesting, I find that the soap helps the little stuff fall through the blacksands. I normally go through my cons twice, once after cleaning up my sluice to see what's what. the second go through is after i classify further at home. I find i get 75% or so the first time, without classifying or soap. after my second go through I have almost all the visible gold out. I have been finding more gold after roasting my cons, it seems to break stuff up. I think I can skip panning after I roast, since my plan is to start smelting the heavies for gold when I have time to screw with it.
ezieg
picker
picker

Postby Sam Burgin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 pm

ezieg wrote:

Sam, what do you use in your operation? I have seen your pics of super fine gold, and I love my falcon finishing pan, which I bought after your recommendation here.

Shaklee Basic H , on Jetdri in a pinch, but any dish liquid will break the surface tension.

Bubbles will float away fine gold better than anything. The Shaklee has a very low suds factor.

Sam
Sam Burgin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Sam Burgin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:14 pm

ezieg wrote:interesting, I find that the soap helps the little stuff fall through the blacksands. I normally go through my cons twice, once after cleaning up my sluice to see what's what. the second go through is after i classify further at home. I find i get 75% or so the first time, without classifying or soap. after my second go through I have almost all the visible gold out. I have been finding more gold after roasting my cons, it seems to break stuff up. I think I can skip panning after I roast, since my plan is to start smelting the heavies for gold when I have time to screw with it.

Grinding is a very cost efficient way to free the gold. I still have grinding wheels available at my cost.

Sam
Sam Burgin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Tinpan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:21 am

They key is using any detergent soap. It helps break the water tension and helps control oil (:))
Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Gold Prospecting