• Advertisement

Winter is here

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Winter is here

Postby shack » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm

This weekend was the first time this year it actually felt like winter. Saturday morning it was pretty cold and snowing. The air temps in the high 20's at sunrise and never got out of the 30's. Water temp was a steamy 36. I got to the creek early enough to hear nothing but the sound of snowfall hitting the leaves on the forest floor. That might just be one of the best sounds in the world if you like that sorta stuff. I certainly do, kinda makes me feel alive. The low temps, frozen snot-sickles, and bone chilling water temps also mean the "hotpot o' gloves" comes out, and the day is over when the coffee is gone. That's another way to feel alive if the sound of snowfall doesn't cut it. :wink: Of course the wife said I could use the big crab steaming pot "just this time and only if you promise to bring it back". She should know better, right? :roll: :lol: What's a little CC spice mixed in with the Old Bay?

Shack

Edits: Added pics.
Attachments
9 Dec 2017 1.JPG
First winter snowfall starting at CC, looked like this when it started and came down pretty steadily until mid-afternoon.
9 Dec 2017 1.JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 321 times
9 Dec 2017 2.JPG
Start packing up when you're down to your last cup.
9 Dec 2017 2.JPG (91.32 KiB) Viewed 321 times
9 Dec 2017 3.JPG
Keep those gloves flexible and that nice pot of hot water right next to the hole. Do not let your wife take YOUR glove oven... You know it's cold when it hurts to put your hands in warm water. Ahhhh, feel the burn!
9 Dec 2017 3.JPG (91.54 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Last edited by shack on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Winter is here

Postby Prospector69 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:49 am

Freezing and thawing is good for us. It breaks open rocks where gold may be hiding. Tis a truely ill wind, or chill that blows no good for someone!
Prospector69
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Darth Placer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Ahhhh the aroma of sweaty glove soup. :?
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 pm

OOOH the weather outside is frightful..... but the gold the it's so delightful... and even though you're freezing your toes....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... :mrgreen:

Good job and glove soup is good for your hands!!
Last edited by Gold Seeker on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Got out for a bit on Saturday just in the morning. 25 degrees, creek was frozen over and had 1"+ of ice, almost 2" in some places. Took well over an hour to get setup and get running. There were a couple other brave souls from PA out high banking, young prospector found nice lil' nugget! Merry Christmas to him, he was all smiles. :D
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Cut_Nail » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:08 am

I made it out to CC for a few hours yesterday. Very quiet and nobody else seen. It was in the 50's with no wind so it wasn't too bad. No idea if I found anything until I clean up my sluice concentrates sometime after Christmas. There is enough water flow to run a small sluice but no way was there enough to make my Bazooka sluice work. It looks like people are still digging out and under the big rocks beneath the bridge. I was there a couple weeks ago and there are obvious additional holes and moved rocks. VDOT could put an end to our access there if that crap continues.
Cut_Nail
picker
picker

Postby shack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:57 pm

I pushed the embankment/easement boulders back in place on the 16th so if they are pulled back out then we have someone who is too stupid to quit.
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Gold Prospecting