• Advertisement

Prospecting private property VA

General forum for Gold Prospecting

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Prospecting private property VA

Postby wildfirebill » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:01 am

Ok so I have not been prospecting very long Sept this year was when I got my first pan. I have been looking at the USGS website for local mines in the Roanoke Valley and vicinity. I have found a few but need some advise on contacting the owners. Since the county GIS does list the owners addresses I have a way to contact them. But I have never been really good at communicating with people. My question is how would others format their letters asking permission to prospect on private property. I currently have 5 pans, classifiers Mesh screen sizes: 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/12", 1/20", folding sluice, 1.5" dredge, and looking at building a highbanker. I have been up to Contrary Creek a few times and found specs here and there, but it's a long ways from Roanoke. I need a place that is closer. I do plan on joining the CVGP in Feb-March 2018.

wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Advertisement

Re: Prospecting private property VA

Postby Darth Placer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Sounds like your off to a good start. I would look for ways to meet the land owners in person, you will have a better chance of success if they can see the person in person they are giving permission too.

Ones that have there land managed for forest products and hunting generally like some money in the offer. When you look at there lands in aerial view you will see the trees in neat rows and fields broken up into sections if its a large enough tract. They may be concerned of fires on there land (revenue source) so don't chain smoke in front of them or ask about camping. Shave, keep a clean cut appearance,wear non prospecting clothes with holes in them etc, be polite even if they are not etc. When you say dredge have your 1.5 along with you to avoid fears of some monster bucketline dredge showing up on there property... lol .. remember they most likely have no clue what sort of dredge you are talking about but may have seen some of the prospecting shows. Certain words like that might set them off worrying about your request.

You can always drop into creeks where roads cross them and test pan in the right of way, to see if its even worth it to contact the land owner.

Honestly though once you join the CVGP there will be more land then you will be able to explore in one season unless you have a serious amount of free time on your hands. Good gold to boot along the way.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby wildfirebill » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:23 pm

As far as I can tell on one of the properties which is closest to me the owners are out of state from Georgia so I believe it's just a hunting property. And multiple owners down the creek for a good ways.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby Darth Placer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm

I know there are some people on here with a ton of experience on the matter. Maybe they can give you some pointers for success.

But like I said the CVGP membership will give you lots of access without all the door knocking. Claim 1 has some really easy to get good gold... My first shovel full there was 20+ specks with two little chunkers in tow. Just panning and sluicing allowed there .... which in a way is good .. keeps it fair game for all and less likely to be "cleaned out" with the big dredges. Seems like every year someone is pulling out a nice big ole trophy nugget. At least the ones that talk about it.

There properties are on par with Contrary Creek.... with a little bit more of that deep in the woods feel, being able to camp on them is a major plus.

Still hopeful we will be able to get a new lease on Contrary...(it's a lot closer for me) and my favorite spot for a day trip.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby adawg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:59 am

Private landowners normally have no reason to allow you on their property . Very difficult to gain access .. In the case of Contrary, the property was being destroyed, so we were able to work out a deal to restore it . Which we did .. Every situation is different . You need to gain the trust of the landowner, and just hope for the best .. I had a landowner one time, that wanted me to test his property, which I did .. I found very good gold, but I was never allowed back on the property ?? Go figure ..
UGA DAWGS FAN-ADDICT
adawg
Super moderator
Super moderator

Return to Gold Prospecting