22%
below 20 degrees
No votes
It's never to cold
22%

Total votes : 9

Anyone going out this weekend

Postby wildfirebill » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Thinking of taking a day or 2 and heading to Contrary Creek. Will anyone else be headed out or is it to cold?
Last edited by wildfirebill on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Advertisement

Re: Anyone going out this weekend

Postby Darth Placer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm

You won't catch me down there this weekend Bill..... I prefer 50 or better and a little sun. Those days are real gems in the winter months. 40-50 degrees I need a strong nudge.

The temps in the 20's... little sun (solar effect) leading up to this weekend, very shallow water. Don't think it takes to much to freeze it solid except for the deep sections.

Shack should be able to tell you if its possible. He seems to be down there a lot in the winter and has a real good bead on things there.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby wildfirebill » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 pm

This was from my last trip Thanksgiving week
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby sanman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I can only put it this way, the pic you took is about 8/10 of a mile down the creek...If you haul your 1 1/2" dredge down there you may run into "Shack" in this weather....He will be glad to help any way he can and offer good advice if you want it...

I already know he's half crazy when it comes to winter dredging so have fun while the rest of us are at home sitting by the fire and having a sensible conversation with our dogs...
smell-n-yellow
I call it research, when I'm not sure what I'm doing...!
sanman
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby wildfirebill » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 pm

LOL yeah I did haul it down there once just the frame didn't carry the floats since they are 2 5'- 6" PVC pipes and to much added weight. Lots of breaks from the bridge to there and back. I will probably just go down will a bucket, classifiers, shovel and sluice. I looked at some of shacks pics of where the old creek use to be and think I'll go about 200 yards from where I was at last time I was there. That pic was right around where I setup at.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby wildfirebill » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:33 am

It's a whole 17° and still have an hour before sunrise. But I'm here waiting. Think I'll go get some biscuits before I head down.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby Darth Placer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Hope you did well today Bill, the gas station around the corner has some good food and breakfast sandwiches.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:39 am

Soup man... bring soup. :wink:

I love winter dredging. CC turned me on to winter work because of the lack of water there during the summer. Working there between Nov-Feb has taught me a lot about winter dredging, equipment care, and most importantly how to stay warm. I can't count how many trips have started with some ice skating, but dealing with the ice is definitely the worst part. Temps don't bother me at all and I've learned how to stay warm. The two winter dredge killers IMO are wind chill and ice. The ice was 1-2" thick a few weeks ago and that was ok, just a pain. You can dredge if there is water under the ice. This past week has been very cold here, teens and single digits at night. The creek can freeze almost solid with a stretch like this which will make dredging difficult with little to no water flow.

I will try to get out one day this weekend but ice will most likely be a show stopper. The highs for Sun & Mon are high 20's and the lows are single digits. Looks like Monday the sunrise temp will be 9 with a projected windy day and a wind chill of -2. The perfect weather for CC during the winter is high 30's during the day and 20's at night. That usually puts ice on the creek but it doesn't freeze solid as long as the days are sunny.

Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby wildfirebill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 am

So I stayed out there for 4 hours and done 1 bucket of material. Sluice kept freezing up and classifiers froze over. It was to cold. Did get some color where I went to but couldn't pan since I was making slush in the pan. I will say it was to cold to prospect. I will post the pics of the gold from the cons when I decide to pan them out maybe Saturday afternoon. Here's some pics of the ice

Need some Ice Skates for this. Walked from the towers of rocks all the way to the little dam
Solid ice
Back under bridge everything is frozen including me
Another pic of frozen equipment
Still solid around 11:30
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby wildfirebill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:21 am

I will try to get back up there another time when it's alittle warmer. And have a little extra money to spend on a motel to stay the weekend.

Also on a side note my signature below is a decal on my back window of my trailblazer so if you see that out there you know I'm there
Last edited by wildfirebill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby wildfirebill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 am

Last edited by wildfirebill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby shack » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 am

Oh man, sorry it was difficult. The low temps can cause havoc and thick ice is definitely a show stopper. I can deal with frozen snot sickles, but you're done once the sluice riffles start to freeze over. You're pretty much wasting your time at that point.

I saw a similar heated sock product on flea bay but I think the one I saw had some kind of remote. I didn't get any because I wasn't sure how they do if they get a little wet. Waders are only "kinda" dry... :lol: LMK how they work out if you end up getting them.

Shack
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby wildfirebill » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 am

Didn't get the ones I posted they were coming from china so I ordered these
Cheaper ▼
ebay gloves
ebay insoles
I'll use the gloves inside another pair and the insoles will be a layer of socks insulated socks, insoles, regular socks, (May place a plastic bag in between the insole and outer sock to help with keeping drying. Grocery bags helped out alot when I was Ice Fishing in Michigan all those years ago. Acting as insulation keeping feet warm lol.

Also on a added note I'll be able to use these at work as well since I work outside all the time
Last edited by wildfirebill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildfirebill
golddust
golddust

Postby Darth Placer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm

The pics of you standing on top of solid ice confirmed my fears of how Contrary is when the temps are real low. I can only imagine the mess it would make of a dredge sluice and hoses.

You get a A+ for effort Bill. I can tell you got the fever bad... now you probably got it worse.

I have a pair of these at the ready in my gear along with the waders. https://www.harborfreight.com/oil-resis ... 99677.html thought they would be good for a long arming day at the creek.

One of these may be of use if you plan to dig some frozen ground.... or heat a puddle to pan in .... https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-61589.html adapted to small propane can would be good.

Thanks for the pictures Bill .... I had an idea of how it was at CC in the 20's but wasn't sure. I know in the summer that creek can get hot as bath water.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ruffandtuff » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:17 pm

It is "cold' outside! Stay warm! Thanks, RuffandTuff
ruffandtuff
goldnugget
goldnugget

Next

Return to Gold Prospecting