Re: gold in stream sediment in ppm,s

Postby Buckets » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks Obdiah. Interestng!
Buckets
picker
picker

Postby rock_bustin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:48 am

Suprised to see so much in the lowlands near the coast.
Anybody ever work the beach sands down there in N.C. ?

RB
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Bobg » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 am

I think more of my equipment than to pump salt water through it, for what little you might get.
Bobg
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 am

That's a cool map, I always print it out so I can check out possible locations when planning a trip to NC for doing a little prospecting, I wish there was one for every state that has gold and there maybe for some of the states.

Here's the link for the source of that map, it's has a listing for many minerals in the stream sediments, i.e. click on "iron" and other components of blacksand from the list about midway down on the page and you will see where the blacksands will be a big part of what you will be getting in your equipment will prospecting, these maps will also help you possibly ID any other heavy minerals that may turn up in your pan in a given area of NC.

http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/NURE ... ochem2.htm

Skip
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:39 am

I did find a similar link for South Carolina.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1368/
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 pm

rock_bustin wrote:Suprised to see so much in the lowlands near the coast.
Anybody ever work the beach sands down there in N.C. ?

RB
worked a little at sunset beach and pamlico sound a little fine color under the microscope was all not enough to be worth messing with scraped it up from black sand deposited on the beach in layers farther north might be worth looking in to
Last edited by obdiah on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Havilah » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:45 pm

The NC map shows gold concentrations in Haywood Co if I am reading it correctly. It seems most other literature doesn't site Haywood Co as a producer. Doesn't seem to be any old mines in the area either. Anyone ever prospect in Haywood Co? I have access to some property there with a nice stream and have tried sampling with no success.
Havilah

Postby Gold Seeker » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Havilah wrote:The NC map shows gold concentrations in Haywood Co if I am reading it correctly. It seems most other literature doesn't site Haywood Co as a producer. Doesn't seem to be any old mines in the area either. Anyone ever prospect in Haywood Co? I have access to some property there with a nice stream and have tried sampling with no success.

Keep on mind that the "gold in stream sediments" scale is PPM (Parts Per Million) and the highest areas (Red) have only 0.8 parts per million, meaning that you find only 0.8 (8 tenths) of a piece of gold in a million parts of stream sediment, the lowest rating is 0.05 PPM and that is only (5-100th) of a piece of gold in a million parts of stream sediment.

That being said it doesn't take a lot of stream sediment to make a million parts.

If you compare that to "iron" which the highest rating is 60,000 pieces of iron in a million parts of stream sediment and the lowest at 5000 pieces of iron in a million, etc. you can understand why we find so much blacksand compared to the little bit of gold we find!!

Skip
Last edited by Gold Seeker on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby obdiah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Gold Seeker wrote:
Havilah wrote:The NC map shows gold concentrations in Haywood Co if I am reading it correctly. It seems most other literature doesn't site Haywood Co as a producer. Doesn't seem to be any old mines in the area either. Anyone ever prospect in Haywood Co? I have access to some property there with a nice stream and have tried sampling with no success.

Keep on mind that the "gold in stream sediments" scale is PPM (Parts Per Million) and the highest areas (Red) have only 0.8 parts per million, meaning that you find only 0.8 (8 tenths) of a piece of gold in a million parts of stream sediment, the lowest rating is 0.05 PPM and that is only (5-100th) of a piece of gold in a million parts of stream sediment.

That being said it doesn't take a lot of stream sediment to make a million parts.

If you compare that to "iron" which the highest rating is 60,000 pieces of iron in a million parts of stream sediment and the lowest at 5000 pieces of iron in a million, etc. you can understand why we find so much blacksand compared to the little bit of gold we find!!

Skip

thats a good point the map should only be used as a guide to gold bearing locations Ie the high er the gold concentration in sedemient the greater the chance of finding a workable deposit
obdiah
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TheEquineFencer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:06 am

http://mrdata.usgs.gov/nure/sediment/se ... 7&div=fips

This link is for North Carolina. If you download it and with it going into Google Earth, you can check out the areas and find the info you want for stream sediment. and such.
TheEquineFencer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Sam Burgin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Just for clarity, a few words about ppm as a measurement for gold. There are 1,000,000 grams in a metric ton, so 1 ppm translates to 1 gram per ton, or about $51/g at today's spot.

At 0.8 ppm, the red areas represent about $40/ton in value, and at .05 ppm, you're looking at $2.50 per ton.

The 0.8 ppm assay could indicate hundreds of thousands of pieces of gold, all below 325 mesh, or about 44 microns and smaller.

Gold this small is almost always from an enriched zone, where it has precipitated from sulfides.

I saw on Gold Rush Jungle, that the idiots say they operated on $25 per ton. Which is another reason they should be broke.

We walk away from anything less than about 4 ppm, unless it has high silver.

Sam
Sam Burgin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby toughman82 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Yeap, just as i been told. NONE in SUrry county which is in the BIG WHITE box in the top left corner...lol just my luck...Drove all the way to a lil gold mine beside cotton patch today. 2 hours away from home
toughman82
goldflake
goldflake

Return to Ncgold