• Advertisement

Uwharrie National Forrest

Talk about North Carolina gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Uwharrie National Forrest

Postby bhelms » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:53 pm

I left work a few hours early and stopped by the ranger station that is just east of Troy, NC on NC Hwy 24-27. The lady behind the desk was very friendly and already knew a little about prospecting. I asked her some of the basic questions about where to pan and what rules there were regarding panning and sluicing. The answer is that they do allow sluicing and panning in any streams within the national forrest as long as you do not pan out of the banks of the stream and do not carry alcohol along. These are things that I pretty well already knew but there are some areas of the forrest that the mineral rights are still privately held. In those areas it is still legal to prospect in the streams but anywhere else is off limits. I was kind of surprised that she did not give me a long run down of rules and all but was very friendly and even told me that she wanted to know if I found anything worthwhile. After leaving there I went to the trailhead on 24-27 between Troy and Albemarle and walked around for a while and panned a little. I did not find much gold there but if you are into geology and rockhounding it is a pretty neat place to visit. You really need to spend more than just a few hours there if you expect to find any gold at all but I will post what I find on future trips there and where I find it. Just make sure to pack in the mosquito repellant because they are already out looking for victims and I was the only one at the creek today apparently. The water is still a little cold for prospecting and it really made the new hole in my boot into an issue.

Brian
bhelms

Advertisement

Postby woodchuck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:11 am

Thank you, welcome to the forum, that kind of info is always welcome.. :D
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Big_Chieftan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:31 am

I was very near the area you are talking about this past weekend. I bought a little 2.5 inch dredge and tried it out on the Uwharrie river. Here is what I came away with my very first time dredging.:)

The picker is 4/10s of a gram. I got about a gram total.:)
B.C.
Big_Chieftan
picker
picker

Postby woodchuck » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:01 pm

That is awesome Chief..Glad to see you have equipment, and it is working for you..Thanks for the pic.. 8)
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Rege-PA » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:35 pm

:) Big _Chieftan...That`s some nice gold, I have been following KevinNC`s posts on that place and would like to give it a go sometime. I have a combo that I have upgraded to 4". Just need to add some flotation.
Rege-PA
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Goldveiner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Nice Job Big Chieftan, are you working the shallows or do you use air?
Goldveiner
Super moderator
Super moderator

Uwharrie Gold

Postby bhelms » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Good to see some Uwharrie Gold. I talked to Chris Cagle from the Eldorado Outpost a week or so ago and he was telling me about someone who spent a week somewhere on the Uwharrie and did quite well. I haven't found out where they were staying but was curious as to whether it may have been you that he was referring to. I have yet to go back prospecting in the area but hopefully I will get time in the fall.

Brian
bhelms

Postby Kev NC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:47 pm

I was there when Big_Chieftan found that nice picker in the Uwharrie River. I could hear the shouting and I was under water about 3 feet. I haven't been on this board in awhile been busy playing in the river with my new 4in Keene dredge I got back at the end of June. Between work and Dredging it doesn't leave much free time! I will be at the Uwharrie River this Saturday.

Kevin
Kev NC
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Kev NC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:25 pm

If any of you are going to be in NC. Give me a shout and maybe we can get together for a day of dredging in the Uwharrie River. RegePA when you going to be back down this way. Right now the river is back up to a good level. I haven't had time to do a cleanup on many of the cons I have taken from the river. I had to make a minor repair on the dredge today and recovered around a gram of gold that was hiidden away where you can't just was it out.

Kev NC
Kev NC
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Rege-PA » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:38 pm

:D Kev NC...Good to hear from you. I will be down your way the 7th or 8th Oct. I have been secretly listening in on your posts :wink: and know you are doing well on the Uhwarrie. Would like to go with you for a day. I don`t have a dredge but have up graded my highbanker to 4". If I could get to a spot I could set it up. I also have an inner tube platform that might work. :roll: I will probably be at the Cotton Patch on the 7th, could meet you guys on the 8th. Let me know if the time is right and if there`s room.
Rege-PA
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Kev NC » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Rege_PA, I will put it on my calendar, just remind me as it gets closer. I will see who I can roundup for the 8th to join in the fun. I'm sure we can find a place to setup you highbanker or you are welcome to run my 4in dredge for the day. If you have a wetsuit you may want to bring it with you the water may start to cool of by then.

I guess I won't know how well I did this year in the river till winter. Right now I have 9 5gallon buckets full of cons screened to -1/4in. Just can't stay out of the river on the weekends to run them. I can say that everytime I do a cleanup on the dredge there is a good bit of yellow stuff in the black mat, from pickers to super fine flour.
:D :D
Kev NC
Kev NC
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Tinpan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:06 pm

Hey Big Chieftan,
Congratulations on your first dredging day.

That is an outstanding result.

Kev, can't wait to see yours.

Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kev NC » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:46 pm

Here is a picture of my bigest picker from the Uwharrie River and the gold from day one of the new dredge. Also the arrowhead was found in the river by my 10 yearold son.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
pict 1.jpg
pict 1.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Sunday picker 1.jpg
Sunday picker 1.jpg (87.6 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Kev NC
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby dhall » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Looks good Kev!