• Advertisement

Dredging in PA?????

Talk about Pennsylvania gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Dredging in PA?????

Postby emal7717 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:15 am

Some guy from GPAA came up to me this weekend and said I couldnt use any type of dredge in the state of PA...Can someone tell me if he was correct. Is it illegal to recreational dredge for gold?
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Dredging in PA?????

Postby Sempr » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 am

It is NOT Illegal but you MUST have a permit!

METHODS AND EQUIPMENT NOT REQUIRING PERMITS
Non-motorized pans, shovels, pan or dish-type hand classifiers and picks.
Non-motorized sluice boxes, sieves, concentrators and mini-rocker boxes.

METHODS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIRING PERMITS
Suction dredges with a nozzle no larger than four inches in diameter.

High-bankers or suction dredge/high-banker combinations with a water intake no larger than two and one-half inches (inside) diameter, which are operated entirely below the ordinary high water line.

Source: http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsw ... EP4099.pdf.
Last edited by Sempr on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sempr USMC Ret.
Sempr
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:21 am

Thanks, I will move upstream to the outside the park
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Dragos » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:22 am

You would still need a permit
Dragos
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 am

Engineered a way around the situation here in PA...Using Hydraulics to accomplish the dredging part...the key statement in the law is "MOTORIZED" no motor needed, but a good length of 4" hose.

doing some surveying to determine the drop needed to accom[plish the necessary head pressure.
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am

probably too much 8)
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Sempr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:21 am

Hmmm...I don't think so

METHODS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIRING PERMITS
• Suction dredges with a nozzle no larger than four inches in diameter.
• High-bankers or suction dredge/high-banker combinations with a water intake no larger than two and one-half inches (inside) diameter, which are operated entirely below the ordinary high water line.

Nowhere in the PA regs does it say "non-Motorized" dredges are Exempt if fact is specifically states dredges with a water intake of 2.5" inside diameter whinh means your gravity dredgee would require a permit.

A dredge is a dredge is a dredge whethter it's motorized or non-Motorized.
Last edited by Sempr on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sempr USMC Ret.
Sempr
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby golddiver » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 pm

It looks to me if you run a high banker outside the stream be you would be legal. Just load 5 gallon buckets and carry them to the machine.
Golddiver
"Live long and prospect"
golddiver
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm

you guys are correct...what about a self contained highbanker using a masons tub to collect the run off water for recirculation and load the thing with 5 gallon buckets of material and then take the spent material out of the masons tub...

This could get around the "High Water Mark" clause in the rules?

Any thoughts...as there is a creek that I have been panning that has flakes to 3/4 of an inch in size! I have access through an old Railroad right of way that has been abandoned many years ago.
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 am

I gave the PADEP a call and talked to thier person about the Suction Dredge portion of the law...His suggestion was that rather than sucking up the material, to blow the material into a fixed sluice.

His statemetn was that you would take some length of black plactic roll piping, and start upstream of where you want to sluice. build a rock dam and place the inlet of the black corrugated pipe there, then string out the pipe down stream, and then reduce the size of the flexable pipe by 50% near where you want to sluice. Take a length of the smaller flexable hose and blow the sediment into the sluice rather than sucking it up.

he thinks that this would serve the same purpose in effect.
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Sempr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 am

emal7717 wrote:I gave the PADEP a call and talked to thier person about the Suction Dredge portion of the law...His suggestion was that rather than sucking up the material, to blow the material into a fixed sluice.

His statemetn was that you would take some length of black plactic roll piping, and start upstream of where you want to sluice. build a rock dam and place the inlet of the black corrugated pipe there, then string out the pipe down stream, and then reduce the size of the flexable pipe by 50% near where you want to sluice. Take a length of the smaller flexable hose and blow the sediment into the sluice rather than sucking it up.

he thinks that this would serve the same purpose in effect.

That is called a Gravity Dredge it requires a significant drop from above to where the sluice is to work properly. but it is all a Gravity Dredge What is a fixed Sluice?

You know if you actually spent half the effort into using Google you would see this has all be developed and used all before in various area's of this world.
Last edited by Sempr on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sempr USMC Ret.
Sempr
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:42 am

SEMPR I dont think you read what the guy from PADEP said. NO SUCTION!!! The way he described it, it is like a fire hose blowing the material into a sluice you put down stream a short distance. The Sluice and the water hose are not connected, and there is no Oil or Gasoline to contaminate the water. He said that this is aloud to be used because it dosent actually remove the material from the creek, but moves it in a natural way downstream..

Sempr, are you certain that your not the crotchety old geezer at Walmart that greets people (Welcome to walmart, now get your sh!t and get the he11 out!) :lol:
Last edited by emal7717 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Sempr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:09 pm

OK PINHEAD you know I really have no time for idjits like you I had something else here before but in all reality I'm just sick of posting to fools like you You are hearby on my ignore list!
Last edited by Sempr on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sempr USMC Ret.
Sempr
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby emal7717 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Sempr wrote:OK PINHEAD you know I really have no time for idjits like you I had something else here before but in all reality I'm just sick of posting to fools like you You are hearby on my ignore list!

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
emal7717
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby LonGToM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 pm

emal7717, its really not that funny. it gets on some of the regular users nerves that people repeatedly come on here asking for information, without doing any research for themselves...

:roll:
You know, they'll talk you up and down
they'll carry you, round and round.
don't you mind people grinnin' in your face.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... d=33607948
LonGToM
goldnugget
goldnugget

Next

Return to Pagold