• Advertisement

Any gold near Tidioute, Pa?

Talk about Pennsylvania gold

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Any gold near Tidioute, Pa?

Postby ece3k » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Hello,
My family has a cabin on the Allegheny river just north of Tidioute,PA (which is near warren/Tionesta). I have never seen anyone panning up there and so assumed that nothing was there. But then I thought it would be smart to ask the wiser old timers I am sure that are on the list. So....is there any gold in the Allegheny river or there abouts?
Thanks,
Erik
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Advertisement

Re: Any gold near Tidioute, Pa?

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:07 am

There were glaciers that came into Pa. way back when and there has been gold found both northeast and northwest Pa. I don't know for sure that it is there but you just may get lucky and find some really nice stuff. I have heard of dime size nuggets being found in the Susquehanain the northeast but there hasn't been a lot of prospecting done lately. It won't hurt to do some looking anywhere there is a stream and just because you don't see anyone looking doesn't mean there is no gold there. If it is there it probably won't be much but anything you find will be more than you had. Good luck and watch out for the hunters this time of year.
Frank
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TRJ » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 am

Ece3k,

I think you will need to go more north and west toward Erie to find gold. I have heard it said that the Allegheny river is pretty much the cut off for gold. You can always look up the Allegheny chapter of the GPAA, they meet just west of Greenville on HWY 358. http://www.goldinpa.com/

Their monthly meeting is today, second Saturday of the month.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Goldsnoop » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 am

Yes. From what I call the Niagara Squirt, that part of the glacier the came southwest from Buffalo. I've been sampling streams in the Lower Kinzua drainage. Your area. Just fly specks so far. But hey, someday I may hit one of those 800 oz pockets.............ya right. Have fun looking. It's an adventure.
I have heard of sane women, but then again, I've also heard of unicorns.
Goldsnoop
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TRJ » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 pm

People find gold in Slippery Rock which is near Moraine State park FYI. I live in Clarion and I've had not luck in Clarion County with the little sampling I've done here. Like I said earlier go west of the river, the closer to Ohio the better.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ece3k » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks for the replies.....I try to stay away from there during the winter months (I live in Virginia) - but I will bring a pan and shovel up for sure next summer. Thanks!
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby noelhay » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Erik,

New to site so sorry to weigh in on this so late. Yes there is gold near Tidioute. I live in VA now as well but am originally from PA. This summer I was doing a little panning on the Allegheny in Tionesta- just test pans, didn't even pick a good spot- and was getting flakes within a couple of pans. Don't expect very much though. All of the gold in the Allegheny came down out of New York with the glaciers and is pretty diffuse in the river gravels and the gravels are pretty deep. My nephew worked for a gravel company near Kittaning and told of a fellow who was able to collect a number of ounces by sluicing the sand that was washed from the gravel- he went through A LOT of sand though to get it. There is also gold in the Susquehanna from the same glaciation. From the research I've done, the source of the gold seems to be from somewhere in the region of the Finger Lakes in New York. Hope this helps.

Tim
noelhay

Postby ece3k » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 am

Tim,
Thanks! Now I am excited. I think I know a good spot to give it a try about 50 feet from the door to the cabin. Do you have any notion how deep you have to go to find anything? How much overburden?
Thanks,
E
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Goldsnoop » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Every spot is different. 10 feet from exposed bedrock could be 10 feet of overburden. The whole area is all busted up.
I have heard of sane women, but then again, I've also heard of unicorns.
Goldsnoop
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TRJ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Ece3k, if you want some mop any PM me next spring/summer and I'll come up and prospect with you. I live in Clarion which is not far away.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ece3k » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks Tony. Sounds good. Right now it looks like I will be heading up the last week in July. I'll PM you when things get closer.
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TRJ » Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 pm

I was told recently that people are finding some gold in the OUTFLOW area in Tionesta. Ask a local on how to get there, it should not be difficult.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ece3k » Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 am

Outflow area from Tionesta? I will check it out.
Thanks,
Elfy
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby ece3k » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 am

Here is a picture.....any idea which part? Farther south near gravel bars or right near that tip which has someone parked already. I cannot quite see a sluice..... ;-)
Attachments
tionesta.jpg
tionesta.jpg (304.41 KiB) Viewed 991 times
ece3k
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby TRJ » Sun May 26, 2013 5:20 am

I "think" the spot is to the east where the outflow comes in from the dam. There is a small park in there I believe.

Disclaimer, this is 3rd hand info at best. Please let me know if you find anything.

Tony
TRJ
goldnugget
goldnugget

Next

Return to Pagold