• Advertisement

Virginia Gold nuggets with metal detector?

This forum is for discussion of metal detectors and detecting in general.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

Virginia Gold nuggets with metal detector?

Postby tjm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:39 pm

I moved back to (northern) Virginia about six years ago. Before that I did some metal detecting for gold nuggets in Arizona. It is very common and popular in that part of the country. However, I have yet to hear of anyone in Virginia metal detecting for gold nuggets let alone anyone ever finding one. As you are surely aware of there have been some giant nuggets found in Virginia hundreds of years ago just by picking them up on the ground or in a creek bed. Do any club members metal detect for gold nuggets and has any member ever found any?
tjm

Advertisement

Re: Virginia Gold nuggets with metal detector?

Postby rock_bustin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:01 pm

From what others have told me, Va. soil in the gold-belt is highly mineralized to the point
where most Detecting for gold is considered a waste of time. I would be glad for *any*
display on this site of native gold found *IN* Va and by MD'er only. I have yet to see it.
If somebody can make a liar out of me I would appreciate the education & opportunity.

How successful were you in AZ. ? It may have been common - but how productive for the
average Joe and his/her 400.00 Tesoro ? A simple air-test with my Garrett pinpointer shows
that my 5 best little pickers with a total weight of 70 puny grains require that pinpointer be
no more than 1.5" away to detect it. Each picker came from separate trips to Contrary Creek
along with the fines of that day and from dredging or hand-sluicing. What detector(s) are you
using? How would it handle, say - a 5 gram air-test assuming you still have your Az gold ?
Va streams ought to be capable of giving up 5 gram nuggets - occasionally. More at times.
To detectors ? Don't know. But the Legal-Limit Dredgers have found them - occasionally.

Detectorists & Prospectors both have the same problem: Legal Access. What streams or areas
have you gotten permission to access so far? You can ask here if the Officers of any Va. Clubs
allow detecting along with dredging, panning, etc. Maybe some do. The CCPO is now defunct
and hence its officers no longer have any enforcable authority over activites at Contrary Creek
but all former members are trying to maintain respect for the property despite being Trespassers
practically every time they set foot there since there is no formal lease agreement I am aware of.
Anyone who claims authority there over YOU (other than the Owner or his Caretaker) ought to be
able to prove it with more than just, "I know the Owner." I don't know the regs of the CVGP and am
not a member but you can ask them to reply here.

Bottom line: I would advise you construct a test-garden in your backyard with native gold rather
than the coins most use for test gardens. Gather some actual facts on how small, how deep, etc.
and that should give you an idea of what you have to work with and what kind of gold you will need
to be hunting for. That would be a start.

Hope this Helps,

Rock_Bustin
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby shack » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Nope, no luck MDing in VA for gold. Love to dig for Civil War relics though!
http://www.shacksgold.com
Fortune favors the brave
shack
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I have 3 nuggets , each about 1 gram, found with a metal detector in Goldvein. Very course gold, never been moved, or very little.
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby rock_bustin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Wow Woodchuck,

You found? Details please.

TIA,

RB
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby woodchuck » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:49 am

Unfortunately, not by me. I was lucky enough to take them off his hands. I posted a pic on here a while back. I guess there is no proof they were found with a detector, but he had no reason to fib, I was buying them anyway. 8)
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Bearfoot Gold » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:54 am

Hi, tjm!

I've seen a few found here in NC, so the possibility of finding them in VA is there (terrain and geology are similar along the belt). But it's a difficult and time consuming endeavor.

On top of what RB said about mineralization, one huge difference between detecting on the east coast vs. places like Arizona is plant growth. In an arid area, you have pretty much the bearing ground on the surface. Here, there can be feet of accumulated leaves that have turned to soil on top. There's few places here that has the gold close enough to the surface to be detected.

On the other end of the spectrum are areas that have been used for logging or farming. In both cases the topsoil as been removed or redistributed which in itself can be good for detecting gold, but generally by design or erosion that layer that bears gold has been pushed into low lying areas and again, buried.

IMHO, our area is a relic hunters dream and detecting for gold can be a side hobby from that, but not nearly as enjoyable as it would be in Arizona if your main intent was to find gold.
Wylie
All the way, lets go!
http://bearfootgold.com
Bearfoot Gold
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby rock_bustin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Too bad you don't have more on the details, Woodchuck. I would've liked to have heard them.

Well put, Wylie.
Perhaps one reason those Az. nuggets look so good is that they need to be that size to be
detectable in the first place. Haven't some of the MD finds in western Australia come from
working old tailing piles? I think so. Detector technology is changing (White's new V3 runs
3 different freqs. simultaeneously). And there are sure tailing piles in the Va., N.C.,etc. So
perhaps this is an area that will open up new possibilities for Easterners. At least I can dream.

tjm,

I still think your best next step is a test garden of native gold. The guys who did the best at
prospecting on Contrary were the ones who did the most research, IMHO.

RB
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby tjm » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Some good points raised by both rock bustin and Bearfoot Gold, but I still am baffled as to why people in the western U.S. have found so much gold with metal detectors and nobody seems to be finding anything here on the east coast. For example, I know of a guy that has literally found many pounds of gold with his detector in Arizona. Rock bustin mentioned the "average joe" using his/her's $400 Tesoro. Well, I hope I'm not coming across as an arrogant snob, but from what I've seen and experienced out west nobody uses anything other than $2,500 to $4,500 Minelab machines designed specifically for gold in extremely highly mineralized conditions. I know these machines are capable of finding very small and very deep nuggets. I own one, but I must admit that all I've found up here in northern VA in my only try is a bunch of bullets and lead balls. As far as my success in Arizona finding nuggets, I personally did not find any on my three tries out there but I did witness those that did.

I became a member of the club about six years ago but never had a chance to participate. I drove down there once to a meeting that I thought was in Louisa at some campground, but as it turned out I was a week too early. I've been overseas the last two years and would like to get down there and try this metal detecting thing in a known gold producing area.
tjm

Postby woodchuck » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 am

I believe with the right machine, the gold is there to be found. 8)
woodchuck
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby rock_bustin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 am

tjm,

You didn't speak to your experience in your first post. I'm sure you have a good machine.
But Newbies do show up here ( like me) and they may not have your knowledge or machine
either here or in Az. There used to be a guy with a $4,500 Minelab at Contrary last year who
never found a grain of gold but always carried an extra beer in his cooler which I was grateful
for. :lol:

Working tailing piles is a crap shoot but there's plenty of them at Contrary Creek. This site has
maps,etc. Who knows? I agree with Woodchuck that there ought to be a way but it clearly is a
tough nut to crack.

RB
rock_bustin
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby tim ferguson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 am

old tailing piles is about it .or creeks of slate rock.still a few grams nuggets.
tim ferguson

Postby Tinpan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:34 am

You want to look up Doug at the CVGP Meeting. He could give you some pointers. If you look at the last video where the camera crew filmed the club in action there is a nugget at the end of the video that is a nice specimen piece. I believe that was found with a MD on Claim 1.

You may go many days mding on that claim coming home empty handed, but, you could find something like that once a year or so. I guess it depends on how bad you want to find a nugget like that and deciding if you are better sluicing, dredging or mding to find one like that.

Tinpan
Tinpan
Tinpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ladygarnet » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 pm

tjm, Buc and I have metal detectors. We have had no luck with them as far as gold. Found many other things and had fun. Contrary Creek has so much mineralization there you have a hard time to find anything useful, it goes nuts. There was just too much mining there and the only way I would look for gold is down stream near Lake Anna. You are welcome to come to a meeting and join us again. Just let me know if you need more information.

Ladygarnet
Ladygarnet
Cvgp officer
Cvgp officer

Postby tjm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Where is Contrary Creek? Also, where/when is the next meeting? I'm way up here in Loudoun county.
Thanks.
tjm

Next

Return to Metal Detecting