• Advertisement

ny one used a Fisher goldbug pro with a 5 inch coil

This forum is for discussion of metal detectors and detecting in general.

Moderators: SuperModerator, Admin

ny one used a Fisher goldbug pro with a 5 inch coil

Postby thedigger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 am

Thinking buying a fisher pro using 5 coil,my reason that rubbishy areas on the goldfields,it is hard to work around the mine heaps with the annoying little bits of tins.
The small coil is a double D,and I feel it might handle the mineralization, and it will discriminate out the rubbish.

Any thoughts

Regards Frank
thedigger
picker
picker

Advertisement

Re: ny one used a Fisher goldbug pro with a 5 inch coil

Postby Darth Placer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:20 am

I use the regular Fisher Gold Bug. I can say it works well in heavily mineralized soils. Works well in and out of the creek and at the beach in wet and dry conditions.

You can discriminate with the Gold Bug but you might lose some gold if you do.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby thedigger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Darth
I have Goldbug 2 71kz,but in our soil it can get a bit unworkable at times,but on the stone heaps it is second to none,picking up tiny peices of gold in the rock.
As you say it is very good along the creeks,but it is our mineralized soil, and it is second to nonehere,and the iron stone rocks,as we call "Hot Rocks"that give us the trouble.
You can use a PI machine but the little bits of tin are the pain.So with a small DD I thought I might find some advantage where the heaps meet the mineral ground.

Regards Frank
thedigger
picker
picker

Postby Darth Placer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 am

You can turn out the sound for the low side of the spectrum and work your way up in discrimination mode. Basically you can discriminate out iron in the 0-30/40 range... after that you start getting into the gold number range. Tin cans sound off around 30 - 50 range .. gold is around the 45-55 range on the numerical scale but can be in a much wider range.

It might help to use the graphical scale for iron and the main numerical scale to help determine if the target is worth digging or not. It will sound off on the tin cans though.

I use it in all metal mode and just dig all the targets.
I use it also for finding spots to set the dredge on by reading just the iron scale to the left to find the main heavy fallout lines. Haven't found any nuggets yet with it but still learning the ropes. The area has been pretty well worked over with MD's so not sure how much is left to find. It has put me on some decent dredge spots though every time I use it. The base model does work though in and out of the creek once its ground balanced.

Where I have used it in VA has high amounts of black sand and plenty of iron stained dirt, tons of pyrite, some hot rocks, furnace slag, and lots of past mining activity... the whole valley is pretty much one big mine tailing dump. Not sure how it compares to where you are.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby Gold Seeker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 am

Many over here in the western states are having great success in trashy areas with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000, some are having issues with the smaller coil falsing but other are not if the coil wire is secured well to the shaft, but Minelab is working on getting that fix, most use the big coil anyways, I would suggest seeing if you could test one out and see if it does what you want and you like it .
Last edited by Gold Seeker on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seek and Yea Shall Find, and when you find it Thank GOD!!!

Skip
Gold Seeker
goldnugget
goldnugget

Postby thedigger » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you for your replies,I will look at the minelab monster,but at the moment I am just looking .
Regards Frank
thedigger
picker
picker

Postby Darth Placer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Frank you might want to talk to Fisher directly about this.

You might even get lucky and they send you a prototype/demo unit.... sounds like you prospect on some proving grounds they would be interested in.
Darth Placer
goldnugget
goldnugget

Return to Metal Detecting